Thread: PS3 sales figures 'not good', says IDC

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

ps3 PS3 sales figures 'not good', says IDC

"Sony needs more must-have first-party titles to sell consoles"

IDC analyst Billy Pidgeon has told GamesIndustry.biz that Sony must produce more first-party software for PlayStation 3 or risk seeing more and more units left on shop shelves.

Pidgeon's comments follow the release of NPD's videogame sales data for 2006 which, according to SCEA boss Jack Tretton, show "the power of PlayStation".

The IDC analyst said he agreed with Tretton that the power of the brand "is confirmed with the PS2's performance in the market", adding that sales of hit titles such as Guitar Hero 2 meant that last year "PS2 was helpful to most third-party publishers' bottom lines".

However, he continued, "The PlayStation brand doesn't appear to be helping the PS3. If NPD's numbers are correct, there are over 300K PS3s on retail shelves. That is not good for a console launch of only a million and it's not good for publishers with PS3 software."

Pidgeon warned that Sony must focus on the games available for PlayStation 3 and the number of first-party titles in development, stating, "Software libraries are the key driver of console sales, and no console is going to sell on the promises - they've got to deliver.

"Sony needs more must-have first party titles to sell consoles. Gamers know Halo 3 is coming on the Xbox 360, and they can expect Mario on the Wii, but there are no established first party franchises coming to the PS3 except Gran Turismo - and that is delayed."

Pidgeon did say that first-party PS3 games Heavenly Sword and Motorstorm "look great", but observed, "They are new and less anticipated."

source: Gameindustry.biz

DCEmu Rookie

And these guys get paid for this?
    What a genius, Sony needs some good games for the PS3.. who'd a thought it eh, it's hard being an analyst. 700,000 sold within a month isn't too shabby considering it's the most expensive console available but as we've all being saying they need some really good games and soon.

DCEmu Legend

Metal Gear Solid 4 is coming to the PS3... Resident Evil 5... Need I go on?

It must be nice to be an analyst and always find some stupid reason as to why something is not selling well. Sony has a reputation that isn't all the great as of late. They need to repair that and selling games won't do it.

Price cuts, package deals, etc will get those units sold and will improve upon Sony's image especially amongst the "PS3 is too expensive for me" crowd.

The price is the problem for many people. Why can these analysts not ****ing see that?

So basically, original games are bad?
    Oh god.

DCEmu Legend

The biggest problem with Sony, I feel, from the limited amount of TV that I watch, is their advertising. They advertise their products nearly to the minimum. The biggest issue with finding out new original games is that the advertising just isn't there.

Maybe its just me, I don't know, but I have seen maybe 1 or 2 Playstation brand based ads for every 10 X360 ad I see. That is just ridiculous.

Sony really needs to amp up their advertising on TV and not with stupid publicity stunts. Yeah the publicity might have had a negligible effect on the sales of Playstation products, but if they want to get original games out there and known they will need to boost their advertising.

So... not many PS3 units are being sold, huh? Maybe Sony should consider slashing back the expensive price tag a bit. Also, more fresh new games should be produced. Then sales should pick up some more.

not many good games are going to be in the futere, so i think the ps3 is going to sink really low, besides the price, lllllooooooooowwwwwwwwww

That doesn't sound so good for Sony then. The company would soon be making losses at this rate.

yeah, either they have to do something like: lower the price! :P
    that may help, he he he
    i just want a second PS3

Thread Information