Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: IGN picks PS3 as best new console of 2006

Blog Entries

General games IGN picks PS3 as best new console of 2006

via joystiq

Hell froze over. We've got some positive Sony news today. IGN has picked the PS3 as the best new console of 2006 despite its lackluster launch and widespread criticism. Even though there were only two new consoles to choose from and despite its lack of games, IGN says the PS3 wins the best console award on potential alone:

"Judging the consoles based upon a broad perspective that includes software now available and coming in the future an entirely different argument could be formulated. However, from a hardware perspective, the PS3 is by far the more interesting console. Though the launch software hasn't blown anyone away, the 360's launch titles were equally unimpressive, and the system will certainly mature. Sony's embrace of the PS3 as a computer rather than just a console, and the availability of supported Linux distributions for the console will also develop and will likely bear entirely unexpected fruit in future."

It's refreshing to see someone play Devil's Advocate, but that reads like IGN's best new computer award, not best console award. Hardware, Linux distros ... sounds exciting! Anyone else stoked for the PS3's future potential?

Who thinks the Wii should have Won?, agree or disagree then voice your feelings via comments

Oh I can't believe what IGN did. What happened with the Wii?

Well I have a Wii...haven't touched it in awhile though :rofl:

The Wii should have won!!!

Never trust awards, there can be hidden motives behind them. Corporations do cheat and lie, and bribe.

The PS3 does have the best overall in hardware potential, while the Wii has more unique interfacing.

Same thing as PSP/DS systems. One is more powerful, and the other is more fun.

DCEmu Newbie

i think the ps3 is the best new console.
    the wii is quirky and fun but for traditional gaming it isnt as good, no graphic power. and the xbox 360 is noise pollution and closed off.
    the ps3 however has linux ... and powerful and is gonna get all the support AND .......is NOT noisy like the noisebox 360 , and will therefore not give u headaches while watchign high def movies

Talking It's small, sleek and outputs video at 480i!

There is only one winner of the new gen console war, and it doesn't need to win any awards.

It's a revolution which is in the process of disrupting and redefining the videogaming industry as we know it. And it's only beginning. :thumbup:

Ps3 is good. A behemoth of machine that plays blue ray discs and outputs video at 1080p... Sadly, it's not the one eveyone is talking about, nor is it causing a global stir for trully pioneering new ways of enjoying gaming. It only has better graphics. Great deal.

DCEmu Legend

I guess IGN also recognized that the Wii is only a fad, and will quickly die out because he has no real staying power. The Wii is fun for a short time, but it gets old and as I have said repeatedly, Wii-mote read problems are a bitch, especially in games that require alot of concentration and effort.

DCEmu Newbie

Wii for the win! PS3 is a monster of a console, but its Sony, and they suck. Simple.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information