Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PSP: Convert MVS and CPS2 ROMS For NJ's Arcade Emulators On OS X With MacX_romcnv

Yikes. I was thinking this probably wouldn't work on Intels, but I'm truly surprised about it not working on the PowerPC (since that's what I built it on).

Could you guys tell me how far you got(ie, does it even start the conversion process, etc...), and exactly what errors you're getting? I'm not exactly sure what to make of "doesn't recognize the zipped game files" and "it won't recognize any zip files". This could be a simple fix as I built it to filter files based on zip paramaters.

Similarly, has anybody tried the CLI backends? Only the GUI attempts to filter based on ZIP paramaters. The CLI backends are pretty much straight ports from NJ's originals. The GUI is a whole complicated layer that attempts to make the process easier, but ultimately it just uses the backends, so the results will be the same.

Also, please let me know what OS version you tried it on.
    Remember, I built and tested this on PowerPC G4 running OS X 10.3.9 If that's what you're running and it still doesn't work, I would REALLY love to hear from you.

I would also love to hear if anyone has used this successfully on their machines yet.

paladinja:
    when the converter is running, it will display a list of files that it's processing... Those are the files that can safely be removed from the original zip.

DCEmu Newbie

Yeah i can t select the zip files, tried the folder option and it lets me start the conversion then immediately says its complete but hasnt created any files or done anything that i can see.

Im using a powerbook g4 running 10.4.8

nice one. i will try and get this done over wkend.
    though i am running an intel 10.4.2 so prob not going to work based on other posts. i will let you know how far i get tho.

thanks for helping mac psp scene

Alright, based on Chrice's report (thanks!), here's a different version. I believe that the problem is in 10.4, but since no one else who has actually had the problem has reported their OS version, I don't know. (For that matter, no one's even confirmed that it works on their machines, so I can only guess that this is the problem and the only problem...) For the time being, if the GUI isn't recognizing zip files, try this version.

I think the cause of this problem has to do with UTIs which were introduced with OS X 10.3, but whose use was greatly expanded in 10.4. In the previous version I used a custom UTI definition (since, to the best of my knowledge, 10.3 lacks an official definition) to attempt to validate zip files. Since I lack the development environment to fully diagnose and solve this problem, I've simply replaced the function which previously checked file UTIs. It now performs a simple filename extension check. This means:

1) The zip files you attempt to use must have the .zip extension (or .ZIP or any other variant)
    2) This version of the GUI has no means of determining if the file you feed it is a valid zip file or not. That means that it'll try to process any files that you feed it that have a .zip extension. Text files, graphic files, anything. This obviously isn't the scenario that this tool was designed for, so I suggest that you only feed it valid zip files (and/or only folders that contain only valid zip files).

Since this is only a simple GUI update, you'll need the CLI backends from the previous release to use it. If you don't know how, follow these steps:

1) Once you have downloaded the previous release, ctrl+click on the (old) MacX_romcnv application icon and choose "Show Package Contents" from the pop up menu that is displayed.
    2) Open up "Contents", then "MacOS". There should be a folder there called "converters".
    3) Follow the same steps as above with the new MacX_romcnv application and copy the "converters" folder over to the same location in the new MacX_romcnv application.

@benn:
    My pleasure. Good luck.

DCEmu Newbie

CPS2 side all working!! Excellent work buddy!! Ill test the other hopefully 2moro!

THANKS!!

DCEmu Newbie

Thanx alot for all your hard work on this. The new link for the 2.0 converter doesn't seem to be working though? it jus takes me to the login/access denied screen? Any help would be appreciated..cheers.

*Just used Camino and it d.l fine.. Thanx again..

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by seros View Post
    Thanx alot for all your hard work on this. The new link for the 2.0 converter doesn't seem to be working though? it jus takes me to the login/access denied screen? Any help would be appreciated..cheers.
    Try Firefox!!

I have problem!!!MacX_romcnv don't see my cps2 and neogeo roms.zip....why??

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by kyo00 View Post
    I have problem!!!MacX_romcnv don't see my cps2 and neogeo roms.zip....why??
    Its working ok here.. d.l "Attachment 14555" from the first page and use that. Then remember to replace its "converters" folder with the one from "mac_romcnv_2_0.zip" using the instructions a few posts above.. hope that helps..

kyo00: Yup, the instructions that seros posted should solve your problem. The only reason why "Attachment 14555" exists is to address that issue. (!_!)

Default BIGUP b8a!!!

Sorry if I was unclear earlier. Got these all up & running! SO nice not to have to bounce things off of my girl's PC! You ROCK b8a!! Question: Will these work on NJ's newest versions (the cps2 with ad-hoc, etc)? Also, could someone "in the know" post a links to NJ's newest? I missed a few days of homebrew/hacker news once I got Streetfighter EX2, Jojo's, & Tobal2 rocking on pops! OMMFG! Time to get back to the CPSgoodnes though, Strider & Captain Commando are ready to search the city for strangers to wreak, anyone live in NYC?... or we could play... quiz & dragons...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information