Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Final Fantasy Updates Set for PSP

Blog Entries

psp More Final Fantasy Updates Set for PSP

via IGN

First off, before everyone starts freaking out and starting with the PlayStation Portable jokes (darnit Sony, didn't you know!?), these aren't ports. Remember. They're not ports.

Square Enix has announced via the latest issue of Famitsu its plans for celebrating the 20th anniversary of Final Fantasy. This makes sense, since the original Final Fantasy was released on the Famicom on 12/18/1987.

What's surprising is that the PSP fits so heavily into these plans. Famitsu reveals that the PSP will be getting two additional Final Fantasy games this year, Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition and Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition.

That's right, the first two Final Fantasy games, soon to be available for your PSP, via two seperate releases. In terms of gameplay systems and scenario, both titles feature all the new elements that made their way into the Game Boy Advance and PlayStation p-p-p-ports. That includes the PlayStation's opening movies and the Game Boy Advance's new dungeons, Soul of Chaos for FF1 and Soul of Rebirth for FF2. You'll also find a music player mode and monster gallery.

So why aren't these actually being labeled as ports? Visually, Square Enix has apparently redone everything. While the game is still 2D sprite-based, with the same basic screen layout, Square Enix has remade all the spirtes and backgrounds for the PSP's native resolution, and has even added new effects for the battles. This isn't as big a difference as came about from the 3D visuals that were used in FFIII on the DS, but the difference is clear.

Disappointed that Square Enix's big Final Fantasy 20 year bash resulted in a couple of PSP updates? It turns out that this is just the first of what could be numerous projects. In an interview with Famitsu, Square Enix executive producer Shinji Hashimoto told readers to turn back beyond April for more surprises.

This is good. I'll get these titles when they eventually come out.

DCEmu Newbie

remake ff7 for psp dangit and add online choco racing to it while you're at it!!!

very interesting........Ilove FF, i think they shud make ports of all FF to the PSP...*dreaming*....

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by nal View Post
    remake ff7 for psp dangit and add online choco racing to it while you're at it!!!
    agreed FF7 remake for PC!!! not ps3 and online chocobo racing?... i think i'll pass on that

and sqaure why couldn't you do ff 1 and 2 in 3d like FF3 i would of loved that when u could of redone ff4 5 and 6 in 3D ... its not that hard u've got the man power...

DCEmu Legend

Both FF1 & FF2 completely remade?

That sounds like it could be promising. Nothing wrong with 2D sprite-based games on a handheld. If it was for the PS3 I'd be worried. Should work well on the PSP.

DCEmu Newbie

i think squaresoft will remake ff7 eventually, it is a matter of time. The way i see it, square is trying to wait for a good time to release the remake of ff7, not only to attract old hard die fans, but new young gamers that haven't play the original b4.

The most important thing is, if squaresoft is seriously abput remaking ff7, it won't be just a new graphic "makeup" and the rest is the same. That will be just like re-releasing a old good novel with a new front cover and better paper quality. Dats only what the die hard fans want, not what the company wants.

So unless squaresoft comes up with something, some new graphic technology or a new gameplay system that can allow players to enjoy ff7 completely different, squaresoft just won't bring it out again.

In a way, square is trying to make us experience ff7 differently already, like the CG movie advent children.

May be i am just chatting sh**, lol. at least dats what i reli think why square won't release remake of ff7 yet, not soon anyway

I think a remake of FF7 is not such a good idea, Square will probably release it as a popstation game anyway so make a remake of FF& would be nice i agree but after you've seen the revamped graphics, it still remains the same game... We need new FF games on the PSP an exclusive like CrisisCore (i know its in the FF7 compil but its not a previously released game). A completely new FF, a mature one like FF8, FFX... And please not like the FFs on Game Cube... They could have done FFX on the Game cube, lets say on 2 GC cds, i don't know why they didn't? Anyway, game publishers sometimes make choices we do not really understand.

Cool Sigh

Long after I had Given up on my poor psp.
    It only now has a seconed chance at life.

All right I give. I'll play my damned psp more.
    Seems theres a lot of nice stuff on the way, Who could deny that things are looking up for sonys little one hit wonder.:thumbup:

DCEmu Rookie

No mention of Tactics?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information