Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'd appreicate any replies (M3 Lite, Supercard Lite etc)

Question I'd appreicate any replies (M3 Lite, Supercard Lite etc)

Hi, I only discovered today that its possible to play movies, MP3's and even run roms on a DS! I have been doing some research but I am confused. I was wondering if someone could explain a few things to me.

I have a black DS Lite and I am more interested in playing MP3's and movies than I am playing roms (but if I can do all 3 then great!). I have heard of many devices such as the supercard lite, passcard and m3 lite. I would like to know which out of these is best to play Mp3's and movies? (roms too if possible but im not overbothered).

It is important to say that I do not want to flash my DS. I think flashing is reprogramming the DS and editing the firmware of the chip?. I do not want to do anything that voids the DS Warranty. The device has to fit in the DS well, I dont want something that sticks out a lot.

I was watching a video on Youtube that shows the supercard lite in action. The guy was playing MP3's using moonshell. I think moonshell is a media player? Anyway he was turning the volume up louder than even the volume slider on the DS could go with the X button. That was cool I thought

So what do you recommend based on what I said? I don't understand anything about storage either, I think some of these devices can support memory cards as high as 4GB?. I am guessing you buy the storage space seperately? The supercard lite supports micro SD memory right?

Thanks for any replies. BTW I have read a couple of FAQ's but not all my questions have been answered. I would really appreciate any helpful replies!

remember kids, no rom talk.

please read below

Ok, I was thinking of getting an M3 Lite (I know this doesnt stick out... ive seen videos of it on Youtube)

Voiding the warranty and damaging my DS is a major consern. I do not want this to happen if possible.

These 2 things have really caught my eye...

http://www.ubid.com//cgi-bin/div-us/dd-ds-m3lpass

and

http://www.model-gadget.com/shop/pro...4d218a198ee9fc

The M3 Perfect Lite takes 2 slots but the M3 DS Simply only takes 1 slot. BOTH have external micro SD memory correct? Would using any of these 2 void the warranty or cause damage to my DS?

If both take external memory, why would anyone go for the 2 slot device? Isn't the 1 slot (m3 simply) superior to the 2 slot (m3 perfect lite)??? I mean the m3 simply has its own built in passkey as well so why again would anyone go with a 2 slot solution???

I really need to know which you would recommend so I can buy it....

The slot-1 carts cater more to piracy (yes, I know, no rom talk, just keep reading), while slot-2 devices are much more supported by homebrew. Also, GBA support is only possible on slot-2 devices with extra RAM, and this RAM is also used by some DS homebrew like DSLinux and SnezziDS (the best of the three SNES emulators for the DS). This is why I bought a slot-2 Supercard device instead of a slot-1 card.

Moonshell will indeed work on most new slot-1 devices (the developer works hard to maintain compatibility), so for you it probably won't make a difference. And since you don't want to use FlashMe, a slot-1 card with a built-in NoPass might be the better choice. It all boils down to what exactly you want to do with the device. If you want GBA compatibility at all (which features the only good GBC emulator), then you'll need a slot-2 device with extra RAM. If you can deal with limited homebrew capability, and like the cheaper price and built-in NoPass, get a slot-1 card.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheManMS View Post
    The slot-1 carts cater more to piracy (yes, I know, no rom talk, just keep reading), while slot-2 devices are much more supported by homebrew. Also, GBA support is only possible on slot-2 devices with extra RAM, and this RAM is also used by some DS homebrew like DSLinux and SnezziDS (the best of the three SNES emulators for the DS). This is why I bought a slot-2 Supercard device instead of a slot-1 card.

Moonshell will indeed work on most new slot-1 devices (the developer works hard to maintain compatibility), so for you it probably won't make a difference. And since you don't want to use FlashMe, a slot-1 card with a built-in NoPass might be the better choice. It all boils down to what exactly you want to do with the device. If you want GBA compatibility at all (which features the only good GBC emulator), then you'll need a slot-2 device with extra RAM. If you can deal with limited homebrew capability, and like the cheaper price and built-in NoPass, get a slot-1 card.
    Thanks, you have been a big help. I think the slot 1 devices are a no no for me. I'd rather have more options available to me (even if I never use some of them) I will go with the slot 2 devices (probably M3)

Now you mentioned flashme, I heard this can "brick" your DS. Anyway why mention the flashme? I thought things like the passcard 3 are used as alternatives to flashing your firmware? Can a passcard 3 "brick" your DS?

How does this sound? http://www.ubid.com//cgi-bin/div-us/dd-ds-m3lpass

You are correct, FlashMe is not at all necessary. Your PassCard 3 will take care of it instead. I flashed my DS so that I wouldn't have to carry around the passthrough device all the time, but if you don't wish to do so, you will be fine with just the PassCard 3.

That bundle looks good. As long as it's the M3 Perfect and not the M3 Pro, you'll have GBA compatibility. The only other thing you'll need to buy is a MicroSD card to store all your homebrew applications on.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheManMS View Post
    You are correct, FlashMe is not at all necessary. Your PassCard 3 will take care of it instead. I flashed my DS so that I wouldn't have to carry around the passthrough device all the time, but if you don't wish to do so, you will be fine with just the PassCard 3.

That bundle looks good. As long as it's the M3 Perfect and not the M3 Pro, you'll have GBA compatibility. The only other thing you'll need to buy is a MicroSD card to store all your homebrew applications on.
    Thanks alot, I am very greatful for your helpful reply.

I think I will get the M3 Lite Perfect with passcard 3. Now I need micro SD ram and an SD card reader. Is Sandisk a good manuafacture to get? Or is there better? I would imagine I'd get a 2GB card.

So will this void my Nintendo warranty? Does it change the DS firmware? Does it edit anything? How will Nintendo know I even used an M3 if I were to use my warranty and send it back?

I would go with a sandisk if I were you. Mine still works.

As for the second question, no it doesn't. If you don't use flashme(the unrequired flashing program), then your warrenty is fine. Flashme is just so you can skip the health and warning screen, and to make it so you don't have to use a passme device. In my opinion, passmes are better than flashing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information