Thread: Taking on Shenmue Project... Advice on Dreamcast Port

Default Taking on Shenmue Project... Advice on Dreamcast Port

Hi, I'm from the Shenmue Dojo, looking to revive our ill-fated series in a small way. I've built up a team of 17 and growing to develop a game based on the lost chapter between Shenmue I & II using Unity. We're only in the initial phases of development (ripping textures, models, skins, writing the story, etc.)

I haven't yet started on the design document, but the idea's already been thrown around of making a port for the Dreamcast that we could distribute to give that authentic feel.

The problem is that the DC isn't nearly powerful enough to support Unity, and I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure a way around this, whether creating separate games using the same resources, or creating the most complex, intricate mod at the expense of, well, the majority of content. One thing's for sure though, we've become very reluctant to give up on the idea. Stupid, I know, but we're still waiting on Shenmue III, so we're not the most intelligent bunch anyway, resilient as we may appear.

Today I was pointed to this forum. One of my advisors suggested that if anyone knows what we can do to remedy this, it would be you guys. So, is there any program we're overlooking that can be used to create something on the scale of Shenmue? I'm aware that it is, by today's standards, a rather simplistic game, but from what I am told, not much has been achieved by the DC HomeBrew community in terms of scale and scope. Is it doable? Or is the Dreamcast best left to large 2D games?

Any help would be appreciated. And, obviously, if anyone's interested in getting involved in the project, then just let me know, we could always do with a few extra hands.

Thank you.

DCEmu Newbie

kallistios sdk(OSS)

CubiVR (engine)

//dont know for the official katana sdk

rendering optimization doc (d3d_winCE) ,could be usefull

http://mc.pp.se/dc/hw.html (Hardware)

http://www.hitmen-console.org (Hardware)

you may also wanna check out Dcemulation

Thread Information