Thread: Why American and Japanese games are different

Blog Entries

General games Why American and Japanese games are different

via joystiq

1UP examines the differences in American and Japanese game design including philosophies, camera control, save points, cultural interpretations, and linearity. Here are a few abridged concepts outlining why our games may be so different:

Americans are big on individuality, hence they like free-roaming environments in games
    Japanese favor cinematic presentation over the added control of free-roaming cameras

American designers generally aim for realism whereas the Japanese seem to prefer more stylized graphics
    The right to bear arms and a strong military influence could be the reason Americans prefer FPSs more than the Japanese where a military presence is almost non-existent

In essence, both societies rely heavily on their respective cultures for inspiration when making games. That's not to say the two don't have a lot in common, however; censorship of violent games is a contested topic in both countries.

Agree or not, answer via the comments

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster View Post
    American designers generally aim for realism whereas the Japanese seem to prefer more stylized graphics
    The right to bear arms and a strong military influence could be the reason Americans prefer FPSs more than the Japanese where a military presence is almost non-existent
    I don't think anyone can really answer why the Japanese prefer stylized graphics. But they've been consistently at the forefront of international design trends for a number of decades now, so I think it's safe to say that the Japanese simply have a more "refined" aesthetic then other nationalities.

As for the lack of military presence being an excuse for FPS unpopularity in Japan... The only reason Japan doesn't have a military is because it was forceably taken away from them because they were far too militant. I think that FPS unpopularity is more due to the lack of Japanese sense of individuality. This would also explain why RPG/strategy games are more popular in Japan then they are in the west. They still like their bloodshed and violence (further explaining the unpopularity of sports games in Japan), but they're more at ease when it's done as part of a group situation, not when they're the single, solitary soldier slaughtering everything else on the field.

Default American and Japanese games should be equal!

In my opinion what developers are failing to see is how the "American Gamer", has learned to adapt to Japanese games. Proof of this can be seen at the increasing rate of game imports. I've noticed that when it comes to video games, the cultural boundaries are broken and the only problem we encounter is the language barriers. It doesn't matter how militant or non-militant our countries are. I just think it's a bad habit of developers that when they see something that works well, they stick to it and then start regurgitating and insane amount of FPS that make no sence. I love FPS games but I also love RPG's and I'm always looking for the next great one. As far as censorship goes, they need to cut that s#it out. All little kids grow up to be all those things they try to shield them from!

Japanese play much more attention to console restrictions than USa. Most games are obviously made and designed from the ground up by a team that understands the presented limitations.
    USA dev's are so LAME because they justify $#@!ty designing by making everyone have to upgrade their PC. Believe it folks. (MGS1?)

I believe firmly that a LOT of the same military based FPS games are constantly being pushed out to max out harware so to sell ppl more of it.

How many Japanese companies besides like Capcom and square release like 3-5 different versions of the same game. 1 for each console. Meanwhile always making the others nothing more than a worse version of the Xbox's release. Well none that I can think of. Wish I could say the same for most USA companies.

Besides not being totally lame. I am just a VG Anime fan and not too many other games will satisfy me.
    But seriously some of these North american companies are seriously lame dude. Let me list some bad ones.

EA (you guys are strait up ugly nowadays)
    THQ (OMG A NEW CARTOON, Time for a lame sidescrolling-coin collector)
    ID (What would possibly be more fun than satanic demonic mutilation???)

Well in America war mongering and evangelism are accepted widely. Umm ya so for starters they're kinda dumb. Give them a break though it's a dictatorship.

Baaaaaaa, Enjoy your sports. bang bang...

That's it! I have had it with all the american bashing. I myself am an american with a college education. I do not apreciate all of the claims that americans are war mongering idiots. I hope that you all realise that the wishes of the american people are not fully reflected by the actions of our politicians. It all comes down to money. The rich rule the roost while the poor hard working people deal with their $#@!. ( PICK UP A HISTORY BOOK) It reminds me of a period of time in my history more specifically, the mid to late 17oo's. The good thing about my country is that if we have an asshole in power we can kick him out. No Adolf Hitler, Benito Mussolini, Stallin, or any other such dictator could ever take hold in the USA because we wont let it happen! Unlike some other countries I know of. Yes our president is a dumbass but what country doesn't have it's stupid political figures. Rest easy folks he only has 1 more year in power. Rest assured we will deal with the situation we are in. We always have, unike certain countries!

I really don't mean to offend anyone here. I am just trying to make a point. Many of the statements against americans are offensive to me. You need to realise that this site is open to everyone and that some comments may be innapropriate to post.

Before you critisize the USA, look at your own History! By the Way we never got a thank you letter for stopping Japan, toppling the berlin wall, and assisting in the fight in europe (twice). I think that instead of helping everyone else, next time we should just be the self centered idiots that everyone is accusing us of being! Let the world handle it's own problems for a change!

Good Day :-)

It think this topic is widely overgeneralized. You can't really compare EA Sports' repackaging of exactly the same game with a new Zelda.

FPS is that successful in the US because there was id Software. Without id, there wouldn't be tons of quality FPS by former Quake/Doom/Wolfenstein modders.

In Japan you do have the late 8bit / 16bit / early 32bit generation of programmers/designers. They've had to work with hardware limitations in graphics that made them very creative (Mario is a good example).

Europe makes the best games in the world

Motorstorm Is a sweet game. That is one game from a Europian developer that I can't wait for.

P.S. I apologize for my venting earlier :-)

peace out

Cape Town, South Africa. Where the girl to guy ratio is 7 to 1!

Oh my GOD.
    Has anyone else played the PS2 Game "King of Fighters 2002" in Jap and in US?
    In the Jap version, when there is a slight slowdown, your attack buttons reconfigure themselves until the slowdown ends!!!

Thread Information