Thread: Neo4All troubles

Default Neo4All troubles

Alright, I just got neo4all, got roms, converted them, made a disc, played some games. Unfortunately, not all of them worked. Oddly enough, the prefetched ones did not work(metal slug 1&2) the game loads up and everything, but it is waay too slow to be playable. I can hear the drive reading the disc every couple of seconds, which freezes the screen. Every other game works great, no problems or slowdown whatsoever, and they are not prefetched. Also, another problem I had was converting files. When I try and use ncGUI to convert them, I get an error message saying "No valid romset found for source rom file." The games that had a problem were Metal Slug 3-X and Strikers 1945. If anyone could help me with these problems it would be much appreciated.

Ok, update to this. I have found that it is not neccesarily prefetched games that run slow, because I got some more games and there are quite a few of them that are not prefetched that run just as craptasticly as MS 1&2 (sam. shodown2, shock troopers 2, overtop, neo rally, WW7.) I thought this emulator was supposed to be full speed with almost every title, maybe I just picked the wrong games. Sigh, all I wanted was an affordable way to play all my NeoGeo favorites without selling my car...

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    maybe I just picked the wrong games

Yup. That's the problem.

Try Neo4All/CD for perfect emulation on every game (except Super Sidekicks series). Yes, even Metal Slug 1 & 2 will run perfectly with Neo4All/CD.

Neo4All/AES runs the following games pretty much perfect:

-Sonic Wings 3/Aero Fighters 3
    -Blazing Star
    -Metal Slug X (slows down in 2P mode)
    -Shock Troopers
    -Magical Drop series.

Neo4All/AES should be your choice for smaller games below 16Mbyte (unzipped!) and some prefetched games (like Shock Troopers, see list above and 'Recommend Games' link below).

Just because a prefetch exists, doesn't mean it's very optimized.

Links:

http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.php/Main/Neo4All
    http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index...in/Neo4All-AES
    http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index...RecommendGames

well thank you very much. perhaps i will try out neo4all cd and see if then I can enjoy metal slug goodness.

Edit: With Neo4all cd, am I going to have every game on a seperate disc that i pop in after I load up the program? I have never used am emulator like that (where you have to change discs), so I am a little unclear as to how to use it. I do know that the disc I already have made has Neo4all cd on it, so would I just choose that and then put a game disc in? Also, would that use the same .AES files I have already made for MS1&2 etc.? Oh, and if I do just burn each game to a seperate disc (or all the games on a seperate disc), how do I make just a ROM disc? I am still very new to this, so any help on these issues would once again be extremely appreciated.

...or you could put them both on 1 disc:

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser
    I've prepared a little starter kit for those of you that didn't have luck with getting Neo4All/AES or Neo4All/CD to work on their Dreamcast:

Neo4All Starter Kit v1 Download

The package contains a ready-to-burn image of Neo4All/AES (for swapping with your ROMdisks), a precompiled DreamInducer disc containing all the latest NeoGeo emus for Dreamcast (you only need to add the BIOS), all needed tools to convert your games for Neo4All/AES - like the complete set of available prefetches for large NeoGeo games, the latest ROMRC version and ncGUI for Windows - PLUS BootDreams for burning DiscJuggler Dreamcast discs and even a fine selection of some great NeoGeo homebrew games for NeoGeoCD and MVS/AES (arcade/cartridge).

I'll try to update this package whenever time permits, so please leave some comments to help me improving it.

Well, Neo4all CD doesn't appear to let you load roms from the disc it's on. The only option you have is "run," there is no load rom option as with Neo4All AES. So when I choose "run" it just says "no NeoGeo cd inserted." So to me it would seem that you would need to have the games on seperate discs, unless there is something I'm missing.

Ok, Nevermind to everything, I figured it all out on my own. Everything is working great, and I am enjoying full speed metal slug goodness on my big tv. Hooray!

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Ok, Nevermind to everything, I figured it all out on my own. Everything is working great, and I am enjoying full speed metal slug goodness on my big tv. Hooray!
    Hey, glad you got it to work. Congrats and have fun with this amazing piece of software

Thread Information