Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters Impressions

Blog Entries

psp Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters Impressions

via kotaku

One of the most consistent game franchises around would have to be Insomniac's Ratchet & Clank series. Each progressive title has managed to add new elements while maintaining an excellent balance of humor and solid gameplay that define the series. Many fans were a bit disappointed that Ratchet: Deadlocked focused on shooting without platforming and puzzle elements, but I'm happy to say after spending quite a bit of time with a preview build that the series has returned to its roots with the upcoming Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters for the PSP.

Ratchet and his robot buddy are taking a much needed vacation, having saved the universe now on multiple occasions. They meet a cute little girl named Luna who is writing a report on heroes and wants to see them in action. It isn't long before Luna is kidnapped, a legendary race of inventors gets involved, and once more R&C are pulled into a dangerous plot that sends them on a universe spanning adventure that the two of them really should come to expect right now. These guys get sent on universe spanning adventures if they stop by a convenience store for a slushie.

Aside from the PSP controls and slightly lower-quality graphics, the game looks and plays almost exactly like its PS2 siblings. Developer High Impact Games has done a great job of capturing the distinctive R&C feel, which isn't really a surprise considering High Impact was spawned from Insomniac. All of the familiar elements are in place here. Upgradeable weapons and gadgets, exciting mini-games, and novelty levels to mix things up a bit. My favorite so far would have to be the space shooter featuring Giant Clank, blasting his way through swarms of enemies to rescue his fuzzy lombax friend.

New to the series is customizeable armor. As you play through the game you'll come across armor pieces. Once you collect a whole set you not only look amazingly cool, you also get to use a special power. Collect the Wildfire set and your wrench attacks set enemies on fire, for instance. While I only managed to collect pieces from three sets and complete one, there sure were a lot of empty armor set slots waiting to be filled. Can't wait to see what they all do!

While some of the levels in the game tread on familiar ground, I've run across a couple that were quite new and different, including one I won't go into too much detail on that completely blew my mind. Flying chainsaws FTW!

The controls are actually pretty tight for a PSP platformer. I miss the second analog stick for camera control, but the shoulder buttons do the job adequately, and there's always a first-person view you can swap to if you want to look around or do some precision shooting. The small screen keeps pretty close to Ratchet as he fights, leading to being shot at off-screen quite a few times, but with the PSP you really are limited with how far away the camera can be in third-person before you start crossing into isometric territory.

Sadly I didn't get to try out the multiplayer options, but honestly I've always enjoyed the series more for the story and the characters than for online skirmishes.

All in all I am pretty excited about Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters. It's shaping up to be one of those titles I can point to in order to justify my purchase of a PSP in the first place. Like Ready at Dawn's Daxter before it, this game looks to bring one of Sony's best franchises to the PSP in a big way.

The only game I wanted on my PSP, finally!

Yes!! I can't wait! Next Tuesday, I am buying this game first thing. I suppose it should work fine with 3.03 OE, eh?

I want this and Ghost Rider.

DCEmu Legend

I also intend to get this right away. This game looks good and online multiplayer should be fun.

online multiplayer should be the best
    man cant wait
    i have a friend that ripes me in dead lock
    no im going to rip him in this

DCEmu Newbie

Exclamation Oh No!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hockey2112 View Post
    Yes!! I can't wait! Next Tuesday, I am buying this game first thing. I suppose it should work fine with 3.03 OE, eh?
    Ok - I just got back from the store a few hours ago - got the VERY first one out of that location - they had to open the shippment that just came in to give me one!

Was ready to start playing - looked at the UMD and it had the 2.82 update - well, since I was running 3.02OE, I thought I was covered!! Got the UMD boot screen, screen went black - and nothing happened!!!!

Not a big deal I thought since DA recently released 3.10 - just needed to upgrade - so, I upgraded to 3.10 A2 - and it STILL didn't work!!!!

I had to devhook into 2.82 and the game worked, but of course, I can't access the wifi in devhook for some reason (never could??) - but at least I can play the game!!!

So, it looks like devhook is still needed!!!!!

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by disker View Post
    Ok - I just got back from the store a few hours ago - got the VERY first one out of that location - they had to open the shippment that just came in to give me one!

Was ready to start playing - looked at the UMD and it had the 2.82 update - well, since I was running 3.02OE, I thought I was covered!! Got the UMD boot screen, screen went black - and nothing happened!!!!

Not a big deal I thought since DA recently released 3.10 - just needed to upgrade - so, I upgraded to 3.10 A2 - and it STILL didn't work!!!!

I had to devhook into 2.82 and the game worked, but of course, I can't access the wifi in devhook for some reason (never could??) - but at least I can play the game!!!

So, it looks like devhook is still needed!!!!!

Anyone else have similar experiences?
    Its called configuring your recovery mode settings

-configure-
    -no-umd (disabled)
    -fake region (enabled)
    -region (AMERICA)

-advanced-
    plain module in umd (enabled)

These are some recovery menu settings that must be configured to run your umd's.

DCEmu Newbie

Default does my noobness still show THAT much?? :)

Quote Originally Posted by gunntims0103 View Post
    Its called configuring your recovery mode settings

-configure-
    -no-umd (disabled)
    -fake region (enabled)
    -region (AMERICA)

-advanced-
    plain module in umd (enabled)

These are some recovery menu settings that must be configured to run your umd's.
    Hmmm - didn't have to do that to run any of my other (read 3) games - ok - chalk me up to a noob mistake and MANY thanks for the info - I'll give it a try and see if it works or not!

*BOWS*
    Thanks!

DCEmu Newbie

Well - I made those setting changes and it still isn't working - is there anything else I should look into? I'd hate to have to keep using devhook for just this one game - but will if I have to...

Many thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information