Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony to compete against Nintendo with PSP's multimedia features

Blog Entries

psp Sony to compete against Nintendo with PSP's multimedia features

via pspfanboy

After reporting some pretty disappointing losses, Sony is desperately trying to restructure its games division to at least break even. After stating boldly that they will not give up on the PSP, Sony will now seriously push the multimedia capabilities of the system. They've already started developing partnerships with media providers, such as amazon, but it looks like Sony is looking for even larger partnerships.

According to MarketWatch, analysts are predicting Sony will partner up with "at least one big ISP, such as Yahoo." Such tie-ins will promote the PSP's ability to download movies, television shows and PlayStation games. The PSP is technically capable of doing a lot, but the goal is to get the word out to the mainstream.

"It was pretty much a competition issue with the Nintendo so we have to fight back by introducing more attractive applications [for the PSP] by using the network," Nobuyuki Oneda, Sony's CFO, told the Financial Times.

Lets hope they do it right this time

Let's see how well Sony will do well then...

PSP User

They should make wireless hotspots in more places, I dont have a wireless router so cant get on the internet on my PSP...

I agree, free ones especially.

Yeah I suppose making simple fun games, lowering the price and having the system and software medium alittle more durable so parent's would be willing to by one for their kids wouldn't be the right way to go.

I'm not going to congregate to some hotspot to play my PSP even if it's free. And I can wait till I get home to check my email. There is really nothing I "need" to do at a hotspot with my PSP. Also I could care less about movies on my PSP I have no time in my schedule to sit and watch a movie on the PSP and even if I did I wouldn't.

DCEmu Legend

psp

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster View Post
    After stating boldly that they will not give up on the PSP, Sony will now seriously push the multimedia capabilities of the system.
    Allright SONY! Only 2 years 2 months later. About time they actually focus on the multimedia capabilities of their multimedia device.

What I'm psyched about is that SONY has denied rumors of a PSP2 so that means it will be more likely that the 32GB memory stick in R&D will be compatible with the PSP. Especially if SONY is planning more and more digital content distribution.

Even if the 32GB stick needs a higher firmware, I'm confident that a plugin or custom firmware revision could be created to utilize it.

DCEmu Rookie

I've had my PSP for about 6 months, and I think I have opened the web browser maaaybe 3 times, 2 of which while I was in Georgia at my sister's house, playing around with her wireless internet. As for movies, that's why I have a laptop with a dvd drive, and dvd players on every tv in my house. MP3s... got a cheapo mp3 player for walking, and my car stereo takes sd cards as well as usb keychain drives. A 32 gig memory stick would be pretty sweet, though, and might encourage me to use my psp for multimedia a little more. But as of right now, it's a game machine to me, and nothing else.

SOny are never gonna beat Nintendo, not with PSP Vs DS or PS3 Vs Wii, they should give up, and just concentrate on making thoes few good gems we see from Sony, not opening up more rubish.

Quote Originally Posted by gr42178 View Post
    They should make wireless hotspots in more places, I dont have a wireless router so cant get on the internet on my PSP...
    The method alot of my friends use is stealing but i see it as boroing. Try it.

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Deathnix View Post
    SOny are never gonna beat Nintendo, not with PSP Vs DS or PS3 Vs Wii, they should give up, and just concentrate on making thoes few good gems we see from Sony, not opening up more rubish.
    I see your point about the DS, but the Wii? For now Wii is doing well for itself, but its too early in the PS3's or Wii's life to declare anyone a loser.

But I must say, this is surely one hell of a god damn time to be thinking of this crap. Sony might not have to worry about the DS had they thought of this say... 2 years ago!

And besides, while this is the way to go, Sony also needs to step it up on the games. Give us more original games (no ****ing ports, give us original stories, with new characters in popular franchises, like MGS:PO or Killzone Liberation or Dungeon Siege Throne of Agony (I think thats what its called)).

The multimedia department will just score Sony more adult users, apparently this hasn't worked. SO why in god's name would Sony invest all into this route?

Yes, by all means make the PSP a multimedia god, but at the same time, make it a game god too, and THAT will combat directly with the DS and maybe over time, in 3 years, when the DS fanboy's balls drop and they graduate from 7th grader games to 10th grader games, they will find the PSP interesting and buy one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information