Thread: Review: Penguin United Silicon Jacket (Lite)

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

NDS Review: Penguin United Silicon Jacket (Lite)

Penguin United Silicon Jacket (Lite)
    Manufacturer: Penguin United
    Site: Buy from Penguin United
    Price: $9.99

Overview : Light Weight Material that doesn't compromise the mobility of your NDS Lite. Added Protection to NDS Lite from everyday useage. Designed to fit seamlessly with NDS Lite. Easy access to all connection ports. Protects without interfering with game play, opening or closing of NDS Lite. Available colors: white, black, pink, and blue.

Quality/Usability : I'm not a big fan of silicon cases whether its for the original DS, PSP, DS Lite, cellphones or any handheld devices but its a nice cheap solution to protecting your handheld devices. They just doesnt appeal to me much. But I thought I'd give this a try since I use a GBA case that was given to me at E3 and its kind of bulky.

The Penguin United Silicon Jacket for the DS Lite comes in two separate pieces. One piece is for the display half and the other piece is for the touchscreen half. Slipping the silicon jacket on is fairly simple.

Once they are placed on the DS Lite, all ports are easily accessible. For the touchscreen half of the DS Lite, there is an opening for the DS cartridge slow as well as for the charger port on the top. On the right side, there is an opening for the power button as well as access to your stylus pen. The bottom of the silicon jacket is the GBA slot along with an opening for your headphones as well as a cut out for the volume slider. On the inside of the jacket are two little bumps. These bumps go into the bottom left side of the DS Lite. This prevents the silicon jacket from moving or slipping off.

Now for the display half, there isnt much to it. There is a big opening on the display side of the case leaving the speakers and screen open. What would of been nice was for it to at least cover majority of the screen area but leaving a small cut out for the speakers and screen itself. Probably the same for where the directional pad/buttons and touch screen are.

Conclusion : Overall, the Penguin United Silicon Jacket is just like any normal silicon case. I personally prefer to have cutouts for the each opening fat the top and bottom rather than one big opening. Same for the screens. I rather have majority of the DS covered with cutouts for the screens, buttons and speakers. The one strip of silicon on top of the DS where the DS game slot is feels a little loose and flimsy. Had it been connected to the bottom of the silicon case, it wouldnt be.

Images via comments
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

Silicon eh? Someone must have had some spare time.

DCEmu Newbie

Got one of these cheap. Ok for protecting from external scratches and to stop it slipping off the table and protecting from the occasional knock. Not enough protection inside around the buttons and screens.

Thread Information