Thread: Can PS1 games on PSP resurrect lost titles?

Blog Entries

psp Can PS1 games on PSP resurrect lost titles?

via PSP Fanboy

Yesterday I was engrossed in the explosive delight that is Silent Bomber. I downloaded it off the Japanese PLAYSTATION NETWORK for use on my PSP. For those of you who haven't heard of the game (which is probably most of you), it was a PlayStation 1 game that came out after Metal Gear and tried to do the cinematic story thing, while the gameplay was a mix of Bomberman and Contra. I had so much fun playing it, that I couldn't help but wish for a sequel, but such a sequel is unlikely since the game is a cult hit at best. But then I wondered if perhaps the reemergence of the title in digital download form could have the potential to explode its popularity to the point that a sequel could be made.

Without the constraints of a short shelf lifespan in stores and the equality that is digital download, could a game that flopped when it was originally released on PS1 become a success on the PSP to such a point that a sequel or continuation of the series was financially intelligent? I'm well aware that not every PSP owner is going to pay for and download PS1 games and that also, until PS1 downloads are available without a PS3, the relative success of the downloads will be small. However, what will happen when the PSP can natively download PS1 titles for play? Geometry Wars was such a huge hit on Xbox Live Arcade, that a sequel is in the works. Why couldn't the same happen to a Silent Bomber? Do you think PS1 downloads have to potential to bring back dead titles? What PS1 game would you like to see a sequel to if this did start to occur?

Me? Obviously something in the lines of CastleVania:Symphony of the Night, but not exactly that remake of Rondo that's coming out later this year....I want the original SPRITES!!!! not renders...it kills CastleVania.

If SquarEnix were to make something like Ehrgiez, but with carachters from the hugely updated SquarEnix roster, that would really make my day.
    Imagine Squall VS. Sephiroth Sora VS. Emerald Weapon...the stuff that dreams are made of....And a 4 player multiplayer a la Smash Bros., and constant PACK updates via web a la Wipeout Pure would just make it the most played game ever on PSP.

*quote*For those of you who haven't heard of the game (which is probably most of you) *end quote*

I think you are a bit misstaken here, alot of people have heard of silent bomber.
    I just randomnly asked 20 people, and they all did.
    It was an overrated game at the time I thought.
    Not as good as most made out.

I wouldnt midn seeing a Star Wars-Masters Of Tera Kasi sequel. If they did that game NOW it would be much better than the first.

Bushido Blade III would be phat too

Silent Bomber started with an awesome first level set in the streets in some war, then it went all sci-fi and weird and suddenly it wasnt so fun

DCEmu Legend

Definitely. The popularity of homebrew and emulation on the PSP surely created some discussion when the PS1 emulator was first brainstormed with SONY employees.

The same goes to say for a lot of the remakes and compilations the PSP is seeing.

Another unseen future benefit may be some franchises getting brought back to life.

For instance, If they remade every single Mega Man and Mega Man X, the way they did with with Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X, I'd buy every single one of them.

If done right, a lot of games could get brought to life rather nicely. If developers don't want to focus on original new games, then they at least owe us quality remakes of older games.

DCEmu Rookie

Ya know I think it could (PSX™ on PSP™),.
    But, for those of us who are more concerned about having Food on the Table, then getting onwnd by S0NY®™, kinda destroys this notion.

Forcing World+Dog to purchase a PS3™ in order to ~legally~ run there Meager Handful of PSX™ Games, must have been One of the brighter moments of epiphany for 'ol S0NY®™.

All I can say is thank Goodness we have talented Hackers like Dark_Alex, on our side!
    That Person has done more with the PSP™, then S0NY®™ ever will...

omega boost 2,internal section 2,einhander 2

Quote Originally Posted by Veskgar View Post
    Definitely. If they remade every single Mega Man and Mega Man X, the way they did with with Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X, I'd buy every single one of them.

If done right, a lot of games could get brought to life rather nicely. If developers don't want to focus on original new games, then they at least owe us quality remakes of older games.
    Couldn't agree with you more.:thumbup:

If you take a look at the Doomsday engine then you will know how a good game can become ever better! But, there will always be those companies.. Like Microsoft who will $#@! the engine and it's ideas and try to call call it.. it's own. Enter.. Windoze Vista! No new concetps or fresh ideas! Let's just rip off OSX!...

Now, All you Windoze users will begin to start to see.. what us Mac users have known.. all along..

Thread Information