Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sony Boss Discusses PSP Homebrew

Blog Entries

psp Sony Boss Discusses PSP Homebrew

Phil Harrison on his speach over at DICE 07

via gamespot

Today, Sony Worldwide Studios president Phil Harrison sat in front of this high-powered crowd for an "informal" question-and-answer session with Newsweek games correspondent N'Gai Croal. GameSpot is on the scene with live updates of what the affable executive has to say.

Heres the PSP Bits

10:54: Sony will be adding deeper online functionality for the PSP later this year.

11:05: The next question talks about XNA (without directly mentioning it) and how it puts some of the power of making games into the hands of average users. Is Sony considering a response? Phil says that Sony started that with the Net Yaroze on the PS, continued it with Linux on the PS2, and is now continuing it with Linux on the PS3. Sony will continue to support that kind of homebrew and organized development initiatives.

The follow-up asks the obvious question about the PSP's place in all this. Phil claims that the PSP isn't well suited for homebrew. Croal name drops Dark_Alex, the hacker that's been busting open the PSP's firmware lately and opening it up for homebrew. Harrison has a sort of cryptic response about future announcements.

So the PSP isnt well suited for Homebrew eh, so the hundreds and hundreds of Homebrew Games, Demos, Emulators and Applications arent suited for the PSP??

Nice to see that Dark ALex and our Homebrew scene got mentioned to the Sony Boss, pity he thinks that the PSP isnt well suited :P

DIGG THIS ARTICLE

DCEmu Newbie

that is crazy. psp is the best for homebrew. seriously who can whip out their portable console and listen to music, go on the net and play super mario world 3 on any other piece of electronic device?

Hmmm...now this is quite interesting to hear....

Lmao!

Is the Sony boss serious?

The main reason i play my psp is because of homebrew. If there was no homebrew you would find my psp old and dusty being relatively untouched.

I beg to differ with Heads at sony saying that, "the playstation portable is not well suited for homebrew".

Who are they kidding, the psp shows time and time again that homebrew development on the system is very good. Its one of the best homrbrew scenes out there.

Sony is in denial because they can't do what the homebrew scene can........

dude. the psp is the most suited piece of hardware for homebrew. i swear sony is retarded

DCEmu Newbie

Lightbulb

Honestly, who cares what they think. We have the device, and we can do what we want to it.

If Sony thinks that it's not well suited, good. That just means they think we're too small potatos to go after.

As long as they continue to think the PSP is not well suited, we probably won't see any further effort on Sony's part to secure the PSP further from homebrew.

They would sell so many PSPs if they just accepted homebrew. Other than pirating actual PSP games (and PS1 games) I don't see why Sony oppose it so much. One of the major reasons I got a PSP was for homebrew. Llittle did I know about security and firmware... it came with 2.01 and it wasn't until the 2.80 ebootloader I could get any form of basic homebrew for it and exactly one year after I got my PSP that I could downgrade it to 1.5 and back up to custom firmware.

homebrew is the real reason I bought the psp and I screwed that one by updating my firmware! crap! when the psp is dead with new games and new firmware, maybe dark alex can make an offical fw release so i won't worry about bricking my psp. by the way does anyone know what file type psx games are on the play station store?

Of course the PSP isn't suited for homebrew! It's just like cars aren't suited to drive!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information