via joystiq

In an interview conducted with Gamespy at the DICE conference, Nintendo VP of Marketing and Corp. Affairs, Perrin Kaplan, discussed the different approaches used by Sony and Nintendo during their coincidentally timed launches. Kaplan says, "Well, we didn't have anyone in line that got shot waiting for our system. So there's one sign of the different approaches between our two companies ... I think Sony's efforts were in trying to get the core gamer to accept and adopt it, which for them in the PS2 era, spread to the mass consumer. I think we were just really prepared. Years of experience doing this ensured that we would have a very good launch."

Kaplan goes on to say that the continued success of the Wii definitely shows they are not an afterthought in the consumer's mind. She says worldwide online play is a "priority for Nintendo and you will see it." Although, it looks like we'll still be seeing it after punching in 16-digit codes (maybe more). She also goes on to comfort those that don't understand why the Wii is dripping things out so slowly, "I think if we had just taken the whole package, here are all the channels, here are all the online games, here are the Miis, the news, the weather, I just think it would have overloaded the mass consumer. So instead we began rolling everything out in a fashion where people can really understand it ... We have more things coming, and online is definitely one of them." Oh good, cause we're getting thirsty and hope to have enough strength to input the double-digit codes expected for online play.