Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racial Stereotyping in Video Games

Blog Entries

General games Racial Stereotyping in Video Games

via kotaku

Writer Richard O. Jones has a lengthy article up at Black Voice News, where he discusses the dangers of racial stereotyping in video games. Citing examples like Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, he contends that young Black and Latino children who constantly see themselves portrayed as thieves and killers are more likely to emulate them.

"If Blacks and Latinos are always portrayed as the villains, or as the victims who get killed often and easily, that is code for powerlessness," said Kansas State University psychologist John Murray, who's studied violence and stereotypes in the media for the past 30 years. "These image persist because too few minorities are in the industry."

It is a very good point he makes. The US video game industry is 80% Caucasian, and let's face it, white people tend to program white characters, mainly because it's what they are familiar with, but I suspect also out of a fear that if they portray a Black character they'll get it wrong, or offend someone. Just look at Barret from FFVII.

Jones goes on to suggest that the solution lies in more young Black and Latino children stop playing the games and start making them, and I agree completely. Not only would it help with their own self-image, it could help everyone understand each other a little bit better.

DCEmu Legend

If white children don't emulate their video game counterparts in violent acts, why would black and latino children do it?

Where is the scientific evidence to back up this claim? Is preposterous to think that the video games portray facets of black and latino society that already exist?

Stop blaming video games for all the world's problems.

it's just a flippin' game mates! there's no reason to get all worked up and play the "race Card" . you gotta save that card for when your in court because one of your dumb friend can't hold on the Wii-mote and breaks his 42" LCD TV for which he blames you for! Just gotta relax, have fun, and buy more wiis(which has nothing to do with anything in the thread...sorry people!)

I completely agree with this article.

Gears of War, a hugely mainstream game, is another fine example of stereotyping in games, which surprises me that it hasn't been mentioned. Cole Train, who apparently is home on the rails, is a professional atheletentop of a bloodthirsty lower ranking officer in the gears. Listen to any of Cole's ebonic laden dialog and you can see where the current state of minority representation there is in American game development. On top of the Cole Train, OMG LOL Soul Train, wow. Clever. Also, look at his character, unique or generic design? That is up to debate for sure, but in reality Cole Train albiet helarious is another excellent example of how games stereotype minorities.

I do also agree that what people see and experience effects how they think and act, if you never quote a movie, find yourself using your friends nomiclatures, and so forth, perhaps you could agrue that what you repeatidly expspose yourself too does not effect how you act. However I doubt this is the case with the majority, birds of a feather you know.

DCEmu Legend

Yet another person with the old race card up their sleeve. I'm really sick of it. Everything is about race but yet ethnic or minorities have it better than ever. At least in the U.S.A. nowadays.

What people of race don't understand is that we are no longer living 400+ years ago. It is 2007. If you want more respect or a certain portrayal in entertainment & media, you need to have all people of said races or ethnicities step up to the plate and earn it.

I don't owe you any special treatment just because you are of a certain ethnicity. Time to rip that race card up.

thank goodness I'm white. Now I don't have to worry about being brainwashed by video-games!

Quote Originally Posted by Gredler View Post
    I completely agree with this article.

Gears of War, a hugely mainstream game, is another fine example of stereotyping in games, which surprises me that it hasn't been mentioned. Cole Train, who apparently is home on the rails, is a professional atheletentop of a bloodthirsty lower ranking officer in the gears. Listen to any of Cole's ebonic laden dialog and you can see where the current state of minority representation there is in American game development. On top of the Cole Train, OMG LOL Soul Train, wow. Clever. Also, look at his character, unique or generic design? That is up to debate for sure, but in reality Cole Train albiet helarious is another excellent example of how games stereotype minorities.
    erm... no dude... im 99% sure the Cole Train was based on Terry Tate from the reebok office linebacker ad campagn... look it up... his 'ebonic laden dialog' was more or less the same... now ur not gonna tell me reebok were stereotyping minorities are u?
    or are you just jumping on the bandwagon cos its just a stereotype of a bloodthirsty black ex quarterback... and theres no way it could be in anyway influenced by a character that already exists... who in turn may actually be based on a black guy that is actually like that...

but of course not... its just racism... lol

the whole thing is just scapegoating games as usual...

Quote Originally Posted by F9zDark View Post
    If white children don't emulate their video game counterparts in violent acts, why would black and latino children do it?

Where is the scientific evidence to back up this claim? Is preposterous to think that the video games portray facets of black and latino society that already exist?

Stop blaming video games for all the world's problems.
    i agree with that 100% such a valid point... boiling everything down to race...
    ppl are just trying to get along with all the equality and stuff... and people like this keep dragging it back and trying to make black a seperate entity from white...

DCEmu Rookie

What You Think, That You Become.

Why the hell do you get these idiots shouting "Raceisum" when ever they can?
    Black/white/what ever, there all humans, I think black kids can make there own minds up just as well as white kids.

And any way, his GTA argument is stupid, before SA, all the main charecters were white, so, yeah, this is just retarded.

Race has nothing to do with anything with this issue. It all boils down to that person's ability to keep the stuff that happens in the "game" world and the "real" world apart. I'm black and just because i see C.J. walk up to some guy's car and toss him out of it doesn't mean I'm gonna try it. If anything I think that age would be a far greater factor in this issue than race.(by the by i was ranting before...sorry guys!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information