Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One universal console to rule them all

Blog Entries

General games One universal console to rule them all

via joystiq

Next Generation examines while voicing support for the formation of a video game standards commission with the end goal of creating a standardized console format. Like, no more proprietary Nintendos, Sonys, or Microsofts; just commodified machines that adhere to a protocol and play the same games like DVD and MP3 players do with their respective media.

From the article: "Honestly, at its current rate I don't know how much further the industry can go unless we do all band together and start watching out for our best interests as a community... Cliché as it might be, a united front is a strong front – and we've got a hell of a lot to offer the world."

But alas, the technical gap between platforms is far too great and differentiated at the moment to concede to a set standard, not to mention the heavy resistance of major corporations protecting their proprietary pockets. And do we really want to commodify video games more than they already are?

A universal games console sounds like a great idea...

(...not that it would happen anytime as of now, though.)

its already here..its a pc...lol

sony, microsoft and nintendo, whatever they say, are very greedy and want to keep their own stuff, but in reality could do far better with a single console.

The one problem with a single console is that it could be priced anywhere, competition = lower prices (usually)

DCEmu Legend

If all the companies worked together on a single console, there would be no console wars, no format wars and everyone would come out on top.

This is a good idea for the consistent losers in the games industry but for the consistent winners its not.

But CPU_Smarts is right, no competition = a monopoly thus much higher prices.

I think that one console would be really cool, as long as the prices weren't to high due to lack of competition.

AS nice as it sound, and boy does that sound nice, it will never happen for two reasons i can voice without getting beaten: 1) as long as there is a microsoft it'll never happed, they love money more the making good produces and 2) As long as their are fanboys out there then some companies won't have to agree to go in on an universal console. Well that's what i think........

DCEmu Legend

I don't know why nobody said this before me but I don't think this is a good idea at all. Without the competition and only 1 universal console to play the games on, game developers can shovel out masses of garbage games more than they are already doing.

Consumers will have no choice. I just don't think this will ever be a good idea.

Instead, there should be standards regarding HD (High Definition), surround sound, WiFi, etc. that the consoles put out. But I'd rather have Nintendo make their own console, Microsoft their, and SONY theirs.

Its all about the games and better games will come out of that.

DCEmu Newbie

This idea is silly. Wouldn't work in practicality, look at a PC, even with every processor being an X86, software never works the same on every variation, processor, and hardware setup.

At least with consoles games are written for a specific, exact hardware setup so you get higher frame rates, better AI, better graphics, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information