Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: QuakeDS Released - Quake Ported to Nintendo DS

Blog Entries

NDS QuakeDS Released - Quake Ported to Nintendo DS

Simon J Hall a Coder here at DCEmu has released the first release of the Port of Quake to the Nintendo DS

Firstly heres some screens

HELP SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT THE BIGGEST DS HOMEBREW RELEASE THIS YEAR

Press the DIGG IT Button

Now heres all the info:

The game

the program, working state and game data have been squeezed into the four megabytes of main memory it requires either shareware or commercial pak files, Amiga and PC paks have been successfully used total conversions and mods should work, assuming they respect the tiny memory size networking currently has been removed, but will return at a later date

Graphics

the majority of the software renderering has been moved over to using the 3D hardware
    world textures are display nearly-correctly, there are however still plenty of texture-coordinate bugs!
    fake-lightmapping is currently broken, and needs some time spent on it. As a result, the game is flat-shaded
    there's no dynamic lighting yet

there are no textures on the Alias models yet
    sprites and particles got hacked in yesterday (17/02/07) and are only partially hardware-accelerated, and have no textures
    no water, teleporter or sky animations yet

Sound

sound effects support is about 80% finished, so expect to hear pops, clicks, the occasional screech etc
    CD music is currently being investigated

the existing solution requires the CD soundtrack to be ripped to your flash card
    uses an MP3 decoder, running on the second processor
    ...but the file streaming slows down the primary processor a bit too much

Tech info

uses the libfat DLDI interface, so should hopefully work on all supported flash cards
    built using the latest toolchain, devkitARM r20
    in-game performance is still not hot, but is being actively worked on - expect to see it run twice as fast in the finished build
    performance is timed using a custom function-instrumenting profiler (a bit like gprof)

Downloads

Shareware Version of Quake
    Binary and Source Download Via Comments - ADDED CONFIG FILE TOO

How to play
    This mini-guide assumes that you are familar with the process of running homebrew on your Nintendo DS. If you don't know how to run NDS homebrew, look online for the answer...

You need Quake's data files. If you own a copy, that's cool - you'll have full access to the game. If not, then you can download the shareware version of Quake (for DOS) from id's site. This will only allow you to play the levels from the first episode. If you want to play the full game, buy a copy - don't ask me (or others) where you can get these files.

In the root of your flash card, make a directory named id1
    If you're using the shareware version, copy pak0.pak from that archive into the id1 directory that you just created
    If you're using a commerical version, copy pak0.pak AND pak1.pak into that directory
    You need a config file to tell the game how buttons are set up, etc. I know that my config file works, so download that from the link above and save it into the id1 directory.
    Visit Chishm's DLDI page (above) and download the DLDI driver file which corresponds to your NDS booting method.
    Download the QuakeDS binary package above, and extract the NDS file into the root of your flash card
    You now need to patch that program so that it will be able to access the files on your card
    For example, on my GBA Movie Player (CF) I download the file named 'mpcf.dldi' from Chishm's page.
    I then run 'dlditool mpcf.dldi k:\QuakeDS.nds' - note K: is the volume where my Compact Flash card is mounted, yours will likely differ

Now do what you've gotta do to make an NDS start on your card
    For example, on my GBA Movie Player, I need to rename K:\QuakeDS.nds to K:\_boot_mp.nds
    Put the card in your booting hardware and turn on your DS!

Controls

The game is not currently finished, so there's no control customisation, bar what you can hack up in in_null.c and config.cfg. You will be able to properly change the controls in the finished version.
    Current controls:

touching the screen changes the camera view
    using the D-pad emulates the WSAD control method, so use up and down to move forward and backward, left and right to strafe left and right
    B is bound to escape, so this will bring up/hide the menu
    A is bound to enter, so can be used to select entries in the menu...and also jump
    X/Y are weapon cycle up/down
    L is fire
    R is bound to god mode

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments
    via simon hall

its finally out now!
    keep up the good work.

EDIT: ive been trying to get it to work on my DS Link for a while now, but i always get this message.

Blog Entries

DID you try the config file ?

ive just uploaded it

What hardware do you have?

DCEmu Rookie

Thank you Simon, this is look very promising! I have it running on my Supercard DS One. I used your config. As of right now I can't turn at all haha, but I can move around, shoot etc. Would it be possible for you to release a config in the next version that would setup the DS controls as best they can be?

I runs very smoothly, I just don't have graphics on the gun, i can see a white axe, white enemies, the sound is great, and all in all, this looks awesome and so happy to see it being ported.

Very much looking forward to the next release, thanks again Simon and Wraggster for uploading this .

Blog Entries

congrats on the port Simon, looks awesome

getting Quake to run on the DS is some great coding

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster View Post
    DID you try the config file ?

ive just uploaded it
    i already tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by simonjhall View Post
    What hardware do you have?
    im using my ds link.

Wow, this is really cool. Kudos!

Am I wrong or is the game running too fast?

i guess is just doesnt work for the DS Link. because i just tried it with my M3 CF and it worked.

DCEmu Newbie

Nice work.
    It's working perfectly on my Supercard Sd.
    I hope there will be texturesfor enemies in a later version but apart from that very nice game.
    Why can't comercial developers develope games liek that for ds? These Ports show that it's possible!

Keep it up!
    (sorry for my English)

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information