Decisions on how much the machine will cost and whether it will get a global launch ‘haven’t been taken yet,’ Sony Europe boss Jim Ryan told us last week.
But UK stores are excited by Sony’s new hardware, and want to see the console launch before Christmas at an affordable price.
“Obviously there is a balance to strike between building an installed base for the great games to follow and losing too much on each box, but £299 would be a good price,” said Green Man Gaming’s Darren Cairns.
The Hut Group’s games buyer Paul Cannings added: “I thought the games looked awesome and I am excited about the streaming functions. £250 to £299 would be good for entry level and a singing and dancing SKU for £350 to £375.”
Retail response has been positive. Sony didn’t reveal the design of the console, but buyers were nevertheless excited by the titles on show.
“It looks like the console is getting some really strong third-party support, and we all know how important that can be,” said HMV games buyer Richard Thompson.
“There’s also some really encouraging news on ‘social’ and ‘always online’ features for titles like DriveClub working across devices such as tablets and smartphones, while Killzone: Shadow Fall and other tech demos shows off the impressive graphical power of PS4.”
But not all games retailers were impressed.
ShopTo CEO Igor Cipolletta said: “I was expecting a reveal like Apple’s. It would have said: ‘This week in store’. Sony still has a lot to learn.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/uk-re...istmas/0111705