Thread: Nintendo Wii News | Zelda Ocarina of Time & Kid Icarus on European VC

Rev Nintendo Wii News | Zelda Ocarina of Time & Kid Icarus on European VC

news via Cubed3

The Virtual Console has gradually been building up a stronger and stronger library and now one of the best games of all time has launched on the system, Zelda: Ocarina of Time from the N64. Here is the official Press Release:

"Gamers are in for a treat on Wii’s Virtual Console this week as Nintendo releases two new classics to download. Every generation, certain titles set the standard for all others. With stories so enveloping and gameplay so addictive that they define the generation. One such game, heralded by many as the greatest adventure game ever made, was The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time released on the Nintendo® 64.

Launched in Europe in 1998, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was developed by the legendary creators Shigeru Miyamoto (Producer) and Eiji Aonuma (Director). Featuring a quest of epic proportions, ground breaking 3D graphics and a host of exciting sub-missions and minigames, this game quickly became the most popular title in the already prestigious series. Now nine years after its launch, Wii owners can experience the adventure again for 1000 Wii Points.

This week Wii owners will also get to enjoy the popular NES title, Kid Icarus. Some twenty-years after its original release, Nintendo is bringing the classic platform title back to the Virtual Console for gamers old and new to enjoy. Players take on the role of a young angel called Pit in his struggle to defeat the minions of darkness and free the Goddess of Light from her prison in the underworld. Kid Icarus is available to download now for just 500 Wii Points.

These great games will join the list of over 50 classic titles already available for the Virtual Console in Europe."

And if that was not enough, Nintendo is truly celebrating the re-launch of Ocarina in style, just in case there are people out there with no knowledge of the game:

"Wii’s Virtual Console allows gamers to re-experience some of the great moments in gaming history with downloadable classics from the 80s and 90s. Today, both Zelda fans and gamers who enjoy a good adventure are in for a treat with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, which has often been referred to as “The Greatest Game of The 20th Century” and which has sold over 7.6 million copies globally is making a welcome return on the Virtual Console. Intrigue, excitement and the adventure of a lifetime await you in a quest that will captivate and inspire players old and new.

As the first fully three-dimensional title in the Zelda series, players must take on the role of a young boy with a grand destiny growing up in the Kokiri village. The young hero, Link, soon finds out that something is afoot when he is despatched on an epic adventure by the Great Deku Tree. On his travels Link discovers he is destined to become the Hero of Time and save Hyrule from the evil Ganondorf. His travels take him across a vast and colourful continent as he battles through challenging dungeons - ranging from the eerie Forest Temple to the fiery caves of Dodongo Cavern. With hours of exciting gameplay this title is sure to keep even the most dedicated player busy for weeks.

Unique to the Zelda series, Ocarina of Time sees players taking on both the role of child Link and his young adult form. When he begins his journey, Link is an eight year old boy in an as yet untainted Hyrule. However, when he uncovers the fabled Temple of Time and the legendary Master Sword Link is too young to take on the role of Hero of Time so is transformed into a young adult. During this time Hyrule radically changes into a darker and more dangerous place.

The equipment at our hero’s disposal changes as he grows from boy to man. As a child, Link is able to use items including the Slingshot and Boomerang, but when he is fully grown these items are of no use to him and must be replaced by items like the Hero Bow and Hookshot. Link can also tame and ride his very own horse called Epona who returns as Link’s mount in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess on Wii.

When it was first released in 1998, this game struck a chord with Zelda fans across the globe, partly due to its dramatic and involving music. Not only does the game feature a playable musical instrument, The Ocarina of Time, which players must use to solve puzzles and unlock secrets, but it also features one of the most atmospheric soundtracks in the Zelda franchise. From calm and quirky background music in the field, to dramatic crescendos of sound in boss fights, this game will have the hairs on the back of your neck standing on end.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is available on the Wii Virtual Console across Europe from 23rd February 2007 for the price of 1000 Wii Points and will join over fifty top games from Nintendo’s back catalogue already available."

And remember, at least Zelda is still only 1000 Wii Points, unlike in Japan where is was nudged up to 1200...

Stay tuned for more updates!

Original Story: This week's virtual console releases in Europe are small in quantity but big up on quality. Wii owners can download Pitt's debut adventure Kid Icarus (NES) or Link's first N64 outing, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Give feedback via comment

DCEmu Newbie

for some reason (and i used to own an n64), i never played this version of zelda! about time i invested in a classic controller methinks!

hmm.. or i wonder if zelda controls better with a gc controller?

DCEmu Newbie

did you not have it on Gamecube? it came as a bonus disk with The Wind Waker..

although I think this is a very good VC title and a quality offering by Nintendo, I will not be downloading it, the game took away enough of my hours on N64 and I have it on the Gamecube anyway..

top stuff though Nintendo.:thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by StormB View Post
    for some reason (and i used to own an n64), i never played this version of zelda! about time i invested in a classic controller methinks!

hmm.. or i wonder if zelda controls better with a gc controller?
    I still believe the classic is better

It's out in Australia too! Strange that it's only 1000 Wii points. Wonder what happened to the 1200 amount :S.

Ive just started playing on the VC.

The first time I pulled out the sword I couldn't help but feel I should be shaking something. I'm too used to the Wii now. lol.

Thread Information