Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: DLDI Patching (Getting FAT errors when running software?)

Default DLDI Patching (Getting FAT errors when running software?)

Lots of people have been confused about DLDI patching with homebrew DS software, hopefully this should clarify things a bit.

The DLDI (Dynamically Linked Device Interface) was devised because there are so many different cards you can use to run homebrew software on and they all handle the way the software can access the files on the card differently. For a while developers were getting bogged down trying to get their code running on all of them properly, but with DLDI it keeps all this file accessing code seperate, so coders can concentrate on other features of the software. It also means more homebrew in the future is likely to run on your card of choice with few problems. Sounds like good news all round right?

So how do you DLDI patch compatible software?

Go to http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/ and you'll see there are different methods for patching your nds files, for Windows users I strongly recommend DLDIRC (Win32 Right Click). If you are using a Mac/Linux you'll need to follow the instructions for them on the site.

Using DLDIRC

Install DLDIRC from the site and when it asks you which card you would like to use, select your card from the list.

Now when you right-click an *.nds file it will offer you the option to DLDI patch it, do so then press a keyboard key when asked and it will patch the homebrew for your card.

It's just the .nds file you need to patch, you don't need to patch individual ROMs if it's an emulator for example. Just copy the patched .nds and any other files it requires to run in the usual way.

Remember: Not all homebrew software needs to be patched and not all homebrew is compatible with the DLDI, read the notes that accompany the software and it should give you a good idea of if you need to patch or not.

DCEmu Rookie

Yea! Now those noobs will hopefully stop asking me what dldi patching is and how to do it. Nice job Soully.

thanx so much. no more noob questions
    I don't go on here much anymore. Find me on GBAtemp.

hopefully that'll clarify things a bit, point people this way if they're having problems with it

DCEmu Newbie

I found my problem with it like 2 days ago. I was supposed to get that Icon thing for DS games for it to work. Good job btw

Good stuff! I suppose it can confuse some people, took me about an hour to figure out DS homebrew and DLDI patching once I had the capability but now that I understand how it works it's a breeze. Hope people who have trouble getting their heads around it notice this page

[plug]Another site outlining what DLDI is can be found at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/DLDI [/plug]

The fact that I wrote 95% of that article isn't at all why I'm promoting it... >_>

But yes, good idea.

DCEmu Newbie

I did all that and I right clicked it and it had the icon for patching.But then when I want to patch like lets say a super nintendo emu for the ds.It just flashes a screen and does nothing.Know whats wroung?

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by kurtless View Post
    I did all that and I right clicked it and it had the icon for patching.But then when I want to patch like lets say a super nintendo emu for the ds.It just flashes a screen and does nothing.Know whats wroung?
    Oh wait nevermind I had to download the GUI first.It says succesfully patched buuuuut.Whenever I double click it to load it on my max media,it doesn't load!!I guess I need more help plz?

i use normal supercard SD as the .dldi... i use a supercard minisd, is there something else i should use? like the lite or something?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information