Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Games ‘n’ Music - New Mass Market Homebrew Device for Nintendo DS

DCEmu Newbie

I'm a bit confused... Datel was able to make this flash cart but why can't it support large DS Roms? What if someone wanted to make a DS game that exceeded 50MB? And another question: Arn't commercial DS Roms the same file format and setup of homebrew?

DCEmu Newbie

Hi Newby here so hello to everyone.

I recently bought the Games 'n' Music card which came with a 128mg card and preloaded with homebrew, video file and empty music folder. I can add to this card with all the 3 formats and all play ok, but it as limited space. So I have bought a Kington 1gb card in view of adding MP3 and Video files. Now the problem... I can load the card with the original files but cannot get the Games 'n' music cart to recognise them, it just says Cannot find files..! I have added them the same way as on the original card.
    I have wrote to Datel who just prompted me to format the new card as FAT as that would solve the problem. I did this but it still wont recognise any files that i put on the card. Thinking that I might have just got a bad Micro card I bought another 1gbcard, this also cannot be recognised. Any ideas? it's driving me mad. Would I be better to cut my losses and try a M3 or someother type of card?

Thanks

DCEmu Newbie

yea im an idiot, and w/ out doing much research bought datels sorry excuse for a media device/homebrew player, and now im stuck!!!!
    Anyway since I am now stuck w/ this crappy device, and can't order anything different off the internet I have a few questions:

1) ok im kinda new to the whole DS homebrew scene, but i am led to understand that Datels games n' music has no DLDI (i think thats wht its called), well my question is what are the chances of a DLDI driver being made for this? and if there is a chance, how long will it be b4 one is made?

2) And my second qeustion is if a DLDI is made for this, will that allow me to play backed up commercial roms on my DS?

1. It depends whether any major homebrew developer who has the skills to make a DLDI file can get a hold of one of the devices and has the time and energy to reverse engineer it. Or we could wait until Datel releases information regarding filesystem access like they promised months ago, which would be substantially less work. Without the specs, it's unlikely someone will spend enough time to create a DLDI file for the device.

2. DLDI will not help in that respect, sorry.

DCEmu Newbie

so that means there is no chance of ever playing backed up roms w/ it?

I wouldn't count on it.

I'd also make sure to read the forum rules, as technically we are not to be discussing roms at all.

DCEmu Newbie

I've got the problem that a 1GB card isn't recognised as well. I've formatted it as FAT. Has anyone managed to get a 1GB card to work? I was really looking forward to carrying my videos around with me.

The card itself is great for simple homebrew. I make games myself and it's dead easy for that. Simple mini-games rather than anything you need to save. I think that's the sort of games they mean you to play on this. Which is fine.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by crowseed View Post
    I've got the problem that a 1GB card isn't recognised as well. I've formatted it as FAT. Has anyone managed to get a 1GB card to work? I was really looking forward to carrying my videos around with me.

The card itself is great for simple homebrew. I make games myself and it's dead easy for that. Simple mini-games rather than anything you need to save. I think that's the sort of games they mean you to play on this. Which is fine.

I contacted Datel and to date they wrote back twice now. The first time to ask if would format the card to FAT and try that,.. I told them that it did not work after doing that. Today I have just recieved two emails from them asking where had bought the GnM from "was it English over Japanese" to which I have just replied all in English. And a second email asking the same question about the Micro sd card. I told them that it was a Kington 1gb card in English. I also bought another card at the weekend a Toshiba 1gb card thinking that I might have a bad card with the first one, but this did not work either and have told them that it was also all in English. I have problem loading the cards up but putting it into the GnM I get the message "No Media files Found", I know that the MP3 files work as I have tried them in my Nintendo MP3 player and they are perfect. The sizes of all the files are all the same on all three cards.. I'm at a loss as to what it could be.

DCEmu Newbie

Yeah mine's a 1GB Kingston too. I don't know what the problem is either. I get the same message as you - no media found.

When I had to reformat my DS-X I had to do it in a 2.0 USB hub as it didn't work in a 1.1 (instructions on the website). I'm pretty sure I've tried reformatting this one in both a 2.0 and a 1.1. I think the problem is maybe with the firmware, so hopefully they'll release an update. I heard they were going to release an update for dldi support. Haven't heard an official statement to that effect though.

I really like the video converter for Games n Music. Every video has converted perfectly. I used to have a nightmare trying to convert them for Moonshell lol.

This is an interesting post:
    http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl.../03/04/1325216

DCEmu Newbie

I'll have to wait and see what they come up with tomorrow if they answer back, although it must have wondering about it to send two mails, asking where I had bought them from or what stock they are.

You are right about the video converter, very easy now. I'm totally new to this whole homebrew and video converting so it'sall a steep learning curve.

I also had a problem with the GnM cartridge after the first few hours, the micro card would not stay in it, I think something had broke inside. So I took it apart to see if I could fix it, but there was nothing to fix, but a few pushes around the micro card holder made it so it stayed in without the click in and out

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information