Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Karous Released - New Commercial Dreamcast Game

Karous definitly will not be the last NAOMI or Dreamcast game on GD-ROM.......

Approval
    b( ̄▽ ̄)d

Quote Originally Posted by YZB View Post
    Karous definitly will not be the last NAOMI or Dreamcast game on GD-ROM.......

Approval
    b( ̄▽ ̄)d
    And even if it is, I don't see the what the big deal is about commercial games having to be "official" or licensed anyway. Is it supposed to make owning them "cooler"? Pffft. Not impressed and never will be.

The console itself has been off the market for some time now, and it's still a viable platform for designing and playing some great games. I don't think anyone needs Sega's approval for developing games on the DC anymore. To this day, I haven't seen Sega go after anyone for releasing commercial games for the Dreamcast "unofficially", and it gets more and more unlikely to happen as time goes on.

I am with Quzar on this one, though. Rumors are just that... rumors.

On the other hand (playing Devil's Advocate here)...

I'd hate to see Naomi development stop, though. And it'd be a really stupid move on their part if they did stop GDROM production. Nothing dumber than chopping down a money tree. I don't think that they're THAT dumb.
    The World Of Owen Rubin
    Atari Coinop Game Programmer #4
    http://www.orubin.com/

Official games are the only way to keep a console alive.

Default Karous is out

Karous

Poor quality screen shots:

Game plays similar to Radilgy and Chaos Field.
    I like the crows caws at the start... a nice touch.
    :thumbup:

Note: I mention this, not to create a panic, but to see if anyone else experiences this: NTSC-U Dreamcast using DC-X to boot Karous. Once out of three times playing the game it did hang during game start with a black screen.

It set like this for ten minutes, then I rebooted the Dreamcast.
    Discs are clean, laser clean. Maybe just a one time fluke?

-
    RoadWarrior

Can someone PLEASE make a DREAMCAST game that isn't just another Ikaruga??

I have border Down.
    I have Ikaruga.

Can I play something else now please?

Is this the only "engine" anyone has?
    Can't someone buy a developer setup off eBay and get crackin?

I'll donate time and money and massive visual dev support to the cause.
    Sorry... sorry.... I just want to see something come out other than a vert scroller nerd precision shooter.

There are not Dreamcast games using Ikaruga engine

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Atari View Post
    I'd hate to see Naomi development stop, though. And it'd be a really stupid move on their part if they did stop GDROM production. Nothing dumber than chopping down a money tree. I don't think that they're THAT dumb.
    I heard this rumor and I've just rolled my eyes. I think it was just a publicity stunt, and nothing else. Why? It's simple.

Sega has the rights and the ability to still produce GD-ROMs. If anyone wants to do it, they have to do it with Sega. No one else.

So, why would Sega say "Well, we are eliminating the ability to make GD-ROMs for you so you can't give us your money to make what you want. Instead, call up Sony and ask them to do it on Blu-Ray or something." They aren't doing that. Just because Sega doesn't have any games in production at the moment doesn't mean that they have a staff of thousands working the GD ROM making machine, tossing all the discs that roll off it, losing them money. No, it means that the machine is sitting idle, waiting to see if it needs to be fired back up.

As a business, you don't throw away any money-making opportunity you have, especially if there is potential for people to want to use it in the next year or two. If there are no new games, maybe in two or three years Sega will dump the pressing stuff, but until then, why get rid of something that is doing nothing but making you some money?

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

but surely, in a business machines stilling idle, taking up space, is a lose of money? plus the cost of making only a couple of thousand discs, might not cover the cost of (has hassle of) printing them.

just playing devil advocate, + i have no idea what the costs and profits are.

Quote Originally Posted by JKKDARK View Post
    Official games are the only way to keep a console alive.

Acorn Electron User

Anyone here bought and played Karous yet? I was just wondering what the verdict is. Is it worthy of a purchase or is it pretty much like Radirgy with gothic tones?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information