via ps3fanboy

What was that dog's name that said that? You know, "take a bite outta crime!" Was it something something McGruff? That's not important... although he was pretty awesome. Anyway, Jack Tretton sat down with GamePro and answered some questions about the PS3's progress, the competition and the critics. We'll summarize in a beautiful, crime-free list.

When asked about communicating the PS3 as a multimedia device as well as a gaming console, Tretton says "I'll be the first to admit that it is not our field of expertise. I think creating the technology is something we do well, but explaining the applications of that technology is something we've gotta get better at."
When asked about the media coverage of the PS3 and Sony, especially blogs, Tretton had this to say: "The good news is, [the criticism] isn't an accurate reflection on the success of the company, or of consumer's satisfaction [with the PS3]. I think if you talk to the million people who bought the PS3 in North America, you'll find overwhelming satisfaction." Overwhelming satisfaction is probably over 80% of people feel satisfied. True enough. Out of all my friends who have a PS3, including myself, the satisfaction is 100%. It doesn't matter that I'm the only one with the PS3. R-right?
To make the PS3 a success, Tretton believes the key lies in never resting on his laurels (or the company's collective laurels). He also said "A lot of people in early 2007 are saying "Well, I don't need the PS3's technology." But we know, given where technology's headed, that they're going to want it. And they'll want to invest in it, and they'll pay more for it than they would with the PlayStation 3. You're already seeing it now, where people are adding new configurations to hard disk drives, movie players, and so on. That's technology that [we integrated into] the PlayStation 3."
The PlayStation Network... it's free. No buts, no strings. Free. Plug in your PS3 and start downloading demos, play online multiplayer matches. Free. No signing up for some service. That's the main advantage Tretton sees with Sony's service. He also assures us it's in a very early stage and they are nowhere near where they want to be with it.
PS3's price? Tretton responds: "I won't deny that $599 is a lot of money. It's clearly an investment. I won't tell you I've got [$599] in my back pocket. But I'm also a big believer in "you get what you pay for."
SIXAXIS? "I don't have anything to tell you specifically, but we're certainly open to changing the Sixaxis controller if it addressed North American gamers."
New PS3 model later? "It's something that's in consideration, but again, it's very early on in the PS3's life cycle."

Phew. There's more we sort of grazed over, but these are the major points worth mentioning. Feel free to check out the interview in its entirety and let us know how you feel about it. Not that we're psychologists. But... how does that make you feel?