Thread: UK Wiis "Like Gold Dust"

Blog Entries

Rev UK Wiis "Like Gold Dust"

UK consumers are still struggling to pick up Nintendo Wiis, IGN has discovered - despite the fact it was launched in Europe three months ago. High street retailers, including GAME and HMV, have both reported short supplies of the machine, with any limited stock they do get selling out in a matter of hours.

"Wiis are like gold dust", said one store manager, who admitted that many customers queue outside every morning in the hope that new stock arrives. In fact, of the 20 retailers we contacted all across country, only one - Toys R Us in Bristol - had Wii consoles left in stock. All other shops had completely sold out and most had no idea when more consoles would be available, with a handful of retailers still trying to fulfill launch pre-orders three months on.

However, by far the most worrying aspect of our investigation was the fact that some retailers had been seriously deprived of stock, with one store manager telling us they'd only received two deliveries since launch and that their last delivery contained a meagre five units. Even those shops fortunate enough to get regular shipments have complained they only get a maximum of a dozen units at a time and that any new stock has "sold out within minutes".

Commenting on the shortage, a spokesperson for Nintendo UK said, "The sheer level of demand for Wii over the launch period was something that no one could have anticipated. While we were certainly very well prepared for a good launch the level of demand we saw, and continue to see in the New Year, remains very high". However, Nintendo believes the shortage is only a short-term problem and claims it's addressing stock issues: "We are continuing to make multiple and regular shipments across the UK to ensure that we keep up with demand".

Meanwhile, Fiona Haldane from GAME remained positive about the demand for Wii: "We are still seeing a huge customer demand for the Nintendo Wii and as soon as stores receive stock they are flying off the shelves within minutes. The console appeals to so many customers and has expanded the gaming market to a new consumer. As soon as we receive stock in we want to sell it and are working closely with Nintendo to ensure we satisfy the customer demand."

via ign

Nintendo is hoplessly unable to meet the huge demand that there is for the Wii. And yet, the Wii is still easily outselling Ps3 and is set to overtake the Xbox360 within months.

Can you imagine what would have happened if Nintendo had managed to manufacture enough machines to satisfy demand and still keep some on the shelf? We'll never know, but if Nintendo has sold approximately 5 million units now, and you think they could have sold twice the number of machines they've sold so far, then Nintedo could have more or less caught up with the market leader in only 3 months.

DCEmu Newbie

Maybe I can sell my Wii. Get some more money out of it. Or they have to come with more great titles.

DCEmu Newbie

Game are offering £120 trade for a Wii...wheras CEX are offering £180 cash and £188 trade, they have stock but you will be paying £235 for one... its madness..

I have been noticing that not many stores here in the UK have the Wii console too.

I havn't been able to get hold of one myself. In Belfast that is...

bull, x.

Rev Strike while the iron is hot, not when it's Cold!

Personally, I think this is Nintendo had better sort sooner rather than later for it's customer and their own long term good.

Unprecedented demand and short supply are great for marketing and Nintendo's morale but leaving this situation too long could have an equally detrimental effect as well. Now that the Wii is out, the novelty and interactive element of the Wii will soon wear off and it's the games and game innovation that will be left to be the buy-in element.

Nintendo should REALLY be doing everything to "strike while the iron is hot" and get the Wii into as many hands as possible and get them buying games for it (where they REALLY make their money as opposed to marginal profits on hardware sales) else lose lots of "potential" customers.

I, for one, have almost lost complete interest in the Wii largely because of not being able to get hold of one because the novelty and buzz has now gone (and because Zelda: Twilight Princess was released on the Gamecube as well which is dirt cheap and readily available, not because the PS3 is almost out - £450+ ?!?!?! Are they mad?) They could still surprise and suddenly flood the market the week of/before the PS3 release but who knows.

The longer they keep this hardware shortage up and try and pacify people with "unprecedented demand" statements (it's going 3+ months now), the more likely Nintendo could lose (potential) gamers to indifference, "readily available" platforms or books. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Personal thought.

tav

I laugh at them. I got my Wii 11/19/2006 without having to be in line for more than an hour and a half.

Blog Entries

I managed to get ahold of "2" Wii's back in December, I think it's funny how people complain that they can't get ahold of one but I got up early and waited outside GAME (in the cold) for a whole hour before the store opened (both days)...

...Why don't people just use their (my) initiative and wait outside their nearest GAME store for 20-30 mins before it opens, every GAME have deliveries of between 5 and 10 Wii consoles "per day" "per store" which is on a first come first serve basis

Thread Information