Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: First Screenshots of Fightoon for Dreamcast !

Well, the term indpendent is fine. I sometimes refer to the GOAT Publishing games as independent as well, but I also sometimes refer to them as homebrew. You see, independent can mean a lot of things. A limited private pressing or production run of a homebrew like Blast Arena Advance is independent. A full commercial but unlicensed pressing or production run of a homebrew game like the Feet of Fury is independent. A full commercial but unlicensed pressing or production run of a game by professional developers like Radium is independent. Even a full commercial, *LICENSED* and distributed pressing or production run of a game like Trigger Heart Excelica is independent.

The term is imprecise. That doesn't mean it's not a good term, but it means that sometimes you might need to be more specific and in some cases homebrew is the equally correct term needed for better precision.

As you pointed out the lines between homebrew and independent and professional and major releases are being increasingly blurred in the current video game market, not only by GOAT Publishing, but also by things like Xbox Live Arcade, Internet distribution and the more and more advanced unofficial dev libraries. Today's announcement about Cool Herders on the DS which is being developed with the official devkit and I assume will be fully licensed and distributed (though perhaps not widely), is a perfect example. In many ways, this is like partial return to the video game market of 15 or more years ago and I welcome it (though of course there's huge differences between what we're seeing today and the way independents worked in the late '80s).

One of the reasons you've given for not liking to use the term homebrew is that as you say, it implies that anyone could produce these games. Well, that's exactly one of the primary reasons why I *LIKE* the term. Anyone *CAN* make these games and that's a fact I love. It's a fact that will hopefully spell big changes not just for the video games industry, but for video games, period.

I'm not angry about this topic, by the way; just defensive.

...word is bondage...

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe View Post
    Even a full commercial, *LICENSED* and distributed pressing or production run of a game like Trigger Heart Excelica is independent.
    LOL
    Trigger Heart Exelica is an official game, since it's licensed. Independent releases are not official.

DCEmu Newbie

amazing

Quote Originally Posted by JKKDARK View Post
    LOL
    Trigger Heart Exelica is an official game, since it's licensed. Independent releases are not official.
    Says who?

Small developers like Warashi are known as independent developers. They're not owned by any of the first party or major third party companies. Sometimes they contract their work out to those major companies, but more and more often these days they're working for themselves and sometimes even publishing for themselves.

...word is bondage...

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe View Post
    Says who?
    man, if you don't know that, you were born yesterday.

Posted by fragger via DCEmulation

As promised, here's a video of Fightoon in action:

And here are some 640x480 screenshots:

Now, the news:

Fightoon is not coming out in 2007. And it is not coming out in 2008 either.

I am sorry to announce this, but the project has been cancelled.

There are many reasons for this. I will list some, but there are some others that we prefer to keep in private. This is a sad event for us, and right now we just want to take some rest.

In this topic I will explain why some aspects of the game are the way they are. There were many things I had to take in consideration when designing the game, and I want to let you know why some decisions were made. It is a lot easier to talk about these things now that the game is not coming out, since we don't have to worry about leaving bad impressions anymore.

Right now I will only mention that we didn't have any music to put in it yet, so I used a freely available music for the sole purpose of recording this video. Except for the music and the Makaqu engine, everything else was completely developed from the ground up by me and Rodrigo.

We want to thank everyone who gave their impressions about the game, and everyone who expressed interest in it. Sorry for not being able to get it done.

Also, thanks to the GOAT Store for all their support.

I will post again in a few days.

that's very sad, it's cancelled

After watching that video it really sucks to find out that the game has been canceled. It looked really great so far.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information