Thread: DS Opera browser set to hit North America in June

Blog Entries

NDS DS Opera browser set to hit North America in June

Almost a year after its release in Japan and six months after the same in Europe, Nintendo is finally sending the Opera DS browser to North America on June 4. Although it lacks Flash, video, sound and PDF support (yikes!), the package includes full stylus control as well as handwriting recognition. You can create bookmarks and display images, but forget about saving sexy pictures of Anna Kournikova to your DS. It's definitely a gimped way to surf the web, but reports say it's a generally smooth experience. The browser retails for roughly $32 in Japan and $52 in Europe, but no pricing has been mentioned for the North American release.

via joystiq

Bout freaking time too... but I guess thats how Europe always feels.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n 1time View Post
    Bout freaking time too... but I guess thats how Europe always feels.
    Yes, that how Europe allways feels. But what I realy hate is that the US browser is much more expanded then the EU version.

I don't get it.. Or we have to wait longer for our stuff then US and Japan, or US gets an more expanded version... pussy's

Why the **** can't we get sound and flash support.

I made the decision this week to buy the browser.. But I gues i'm not going to do that. I'm going to buy a ram expansion somewhere and i'm going to use the US release when that one gets released.

Quote Originally Posted by raging_bull View Post
    Yes, that how Europe allways feels. But what I realy hate is that the US browser is much more expanded then the EU version.

I don't get it.. Or we have to wait longer for our stuff then US and Japan, or US gets an more expanded version... pussy's

Why the **** can't we get sound and flash support.

I made the decision this week to buy the browser.. But I gues i'm not going to do that. I'm going to buy a ram expansion somewhere and i'm going to use the US release when that one gets released.
    We dont.

Although it lacks Flash, video, sound and PDF support

DCEmu Newbie

None of the units have Flash, which really sucks.

Ya they should have at LEAST added Flash support. The other crap I can live without as long as I can get my mail, ebay, and bank crap I'm happy!

Definatly should have added flash support for the games though...

I don't think Flash support is even really feasible for a device that runs at 33 MHz and 66 MHz. The browser is already taxed enough simply loading a page with a few images. Sound support would be nice, yes, but exactly where would the sound get stored? It would have to download it to the RAM first, which is already full with webpage data.

I don't think the lack of sound and flash is due to the developers being lazy or the desire to spite us. I think it's due to technical difficulty. Take Gnirfleo for instance, which at first promised Flash support but then later claimed it to be nearly impossible.

DCEmu Rookie

I wonder if there's any consideration to expand teh browser to use all 32 megs of ram in the supercard lite and not restrict itself to the 4 megs in the ds.

DCEmu Newbie

Wow well uh I migth get it if its really cheap.

Thread Information