Thread: GDC: PS3 install base too small for GTA IV exclusive

Blog Entries

ps3 GDC: PS3 install base too small for GTA IV exclusive

Phil Harrison has been speaking at GDC about the lack of third-party exclusive titles for PS3, saying that they will be easier to secure once PS3's install base grows.

Speaking to various bloggers at the conference, Harrison said, "I don't think PS3 has the install base to support Rockstar's investment in GTA IV on its own." And if you think about it he's pretty much bang on the money.

Grand Theft Auto IV is going to cost Rockstar a lot of money, especially as the company is taking the technology in the game further than it has in the past. And to that end it needs to make a lot of money from sales of the game. Putting it on a platform that's very early on in its lifetime with a small install base won't make you as much as splashing it across two platforms.

via cvg

DCEmu Legend

Initially it wont make money, but being an exclusive title will spur those on the rocks about PS3 towards buying it for a game they want. Exclusive titles create the system and when games are available on other if not all consoles then gamers who enjoy said games are less inclined to adopt said console.

Much of the success surrounding Halo was that not only was it a good game, but it was also an exclusive; what aided Microsoft was that it was their investment and if I were Sony, I'd invest money in GTA IV to be an exclusive, maybe even subsidize it for its first year (game sales = incentive money from Sony).

Not only that, but as an exclusive they can ship both game and PS3 in an affordable package, giving more would-be PS3 buyers more incentive for buying both.

What sucks the most is that these companies think more about the short term than long term; right now the install base is small, but eventually it will grow and with more exclusives it will grow faster.

I am just tired of the game's industry being so fearful of risks. When does it end?

DCEmu Regular

hey GTA IV is not exclusive to ps3 it will also be on the xbox 360 so i'd that it would be better played on the xbox 360 rather then the ps3 as for the online service xbox 360 will have the advantage and the ps3 will hopefully lag behind.

Im going to be well pissed if GTA IV dont come out on PS3 i would ave 2 get a XBOX360 nd i h8 XBOX360s ... or the other thing is upgranding my computer that will cost alot of money!

But hopfully it will come out on both but i did read something on the internet the other day about GTA IV may not be on XBOX360 because someone thinks its bad for the public
    i will try nd find the link

PS3 User

Quote Originally Posted by devdj View Post
    hey GTA IV is not exclusive to ps3 it will also be on the xbox 360 so i'd that it would be better played on the xbox 360 rather then the ps3 as for the online service xbox 360 will have the advantage and the ps3 will hopefully lag behind.
    Not a single person has said it is exclusive to the PS3.

Im going to be well pissed if GTA IV dont come out on PS3 i would ave 2 get a XBOX360 nd i h8 XBOX360s ... or the other thing is upgranding my computer that will cost alot of money!
    It's coming out on the Playstation 3. Read the ****ing article, its RIGHT THERE.

Quote Originally Posted by 808 View Post
    It's coming out on the Playstation 3. Read the ****ing article, its RIGHT THERE.
    yeah but i said the PS3 may not be coming out on XBOX360 didnt i ... so if it dont come out on XBOX360 then its just on PC i guess

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=153227

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster View Post
    Speaking to various bloggers at the conference, Harrison said, "I don't think PS3 has the install base to support Rockstar's investment in GTA IV on its own." And if you think about it he's pretty much bang on the money.
    Did Harrison just admit that nobody's buying the PS3?

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Tree View Post
    yeah but i said the PS3 may not be coming out on XBOX360 didnt i ... so if it dont come out on XBOX360 then its just on PC i guess

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=153227
    The PS3 version is coming out. There is no doubt about that. Harrison was only talking about how it would be a bad idea to make GTA4 a Ps3 exclusive. No worries there. Also, that article you linked should not be worried about. Jack Thompson always does BS like that; but Microsoft is smarter than to buy into his crap. Thus, GTA4 will also be released on Xbox360, so no worries!

To all those who worry a bit too much, this article is just another quote from a Sony bigwig trying to prove to the world that everything is going exactly according to Sony's grand scheme. It does not reflect any imminent changes to the balance of power.

Quote Originally Posted by iniquitous_beast View Post
    The PS3 version is coming out. There is no doubt about that. Harrison was only talking about how it would be a bad idea to make GTA4 a Ps3 exclusive. No worries there. Also, that article you linked should not be worried about. Jack Thompson always does BS like that; but Microsoft is smarter than to buy into his crap. Thus, GTA4 will also be released on Xbox360, so no worries!

To all those who worry a bit too much, this article is just another quote from a Sony bigwig trying to prove to the world that everything is going exactly according to Sony's grand scheme. It does not reflect any imminent changes to the balance of power.
    oh thats all good im a very big fan of GTA had all of there games :P apart from GTA VCS

Thread Information