Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GDC: Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility soon to be forgotten

xbox 360 GDC: Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility soon to be forgotten

via GamePro

Microsoft plans to decrease focus on backwards compatibility in favor of concentrating on future Xbox 360 titles

It doesn't seem to be a good time for backwards compatibility, if one takes into account what Sony and Microsoft have had to say about the matter. While the downgrading of backwards compatibility on the PS3's European model made headlines across the world, very little has been stated recently on the progress to make more original Xbox games compatible with the Xbox 360.

Kotaku recently spoke with Microsoft rep Chris Satchell at the Microsoft Blogger Breakfast yesterday, and asked him about the status of future backwards compatibility updates. But, what he stated in response doesn't bode well for owners of Xbox games:

"At some point we're going to focus less on it. When you get to the end of this year there will be a reduced focus on backwards compatibility. There are so many 360 games out there. I don't know if it's important anymore."

It looks like backwards compatibility on next-gen consoles is turning out to be what it's supposed to be in the first place: a thing of the past.

Leave feedback via comments.

Well we got about 9 months left so I hope they pick up the pace to get as many as they can done.

Never really played any of my original Xbox games on my 360. I only tried out Halo 2 to see what the online was like (never had live on Xbox) and thought it was crap. So this doesnt bother me.
    -Xiofire

you can see its just microsoft doing something again saying they will and they dont ...

All but around 2 of my Xbox 1 games work on my 360. But all the ones I play work anyways so honestly I don't care if they stop the backward compatibility updates if they can instead use those coders to help improve the 360 in other ways.

It would be nice if they add support for Need For Speed Underground 1 in the next release though. It is one of my favorite racing games.

It's really sad. How much % of Xbox games work on the Xbox 360 actually?

Quote Originally Posted by Tree View Post
    you can see its just microsoft doing something again saying they will and they dont ...
    Sony dropped the Emotion Engine in UK PS3s, so you're going to get crap compatibility. I'm not going to even get into all the crap Sony promised for the PS2 and PSP which they haven't done. Or how Sony sues online retailers to death *cough* lik-sang *cough*
    But as for Xbox emulation on the 360, it is quite high if you live in US: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._with_Xbox_360
    Europe should join the rest of the world and finally upgrade to the superior NTSC.

I still cannot believe Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II doesn't work on any region

meh i think its about time backwards compat stopped anyway.

On the psp, i think its cool that we have emus and such but i have never played a ps1 game on my ps2 (when i had it) or ever played a xbox game on the 360.

if you like the previous console so much you might as well not get the new one.

just my 2 cents

Hello:

One of the main reasons the PlayStation 2 is so sucessful during the launch time and in later years is, indeed, its backwards compatibility with PSone games. This allow the console to keep running the largest number of games possible in their catalog.

If Microsoft stops to update the Xbox compatibility emulation, its library of games will be reduced. And I'm sure many people wants to see their favorite game running on a better high definition that the one the original console delivers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information