Thread: Which gps

DCEmu Newbie

Default Which gps

Hey every one. I have been playing around with the psp290 and i am not very pleased. It is small and sleek but that damn thing just does not work. Most of the time it doesnt connect and when it does connect the signal is very weak and drops. So i am opting to buy and GPSlim but i dont know if i should buy the 236 or the 240 or if there is any other one that would be best to get. I was jsut wondering if people could leave there feed back here about the receiver they use and where they use it. IE in the city or in the country and what not.

DCEmu Newbie

use one of the holux, this is what deniska use, and it's the most secure choice as you won't need any tweak or trick to make an other GPS work with mapThis!

236 and 240 are pretty much the same. The main difference is that the 240 is very small and looks better than the 236, but 236 has a better battery life

I went for the 240, and it's very good to me. No drop connection, I live in San Gabriel, CA, i tried it also in downtown LA and I always get at least 2 bars.

DCEmu Newbie

So then my next question is should i wait for densika's next release for the psp gps to see if there is an improvement or would it jsut be better to get a holux and forget about the psp290

DCEmu Newbie

where do you live ?
    anyway, the holux is the best choice if you can afford it.

DCEmu Newbie

i live about 15 miles north of detroit in the suburbs. I was just wondering if improvements in the software will lead to better results. Becuase i can get a 236 for about the same price i paid for the psp290.

DCEmu Newbie

I have the holux 240 for 120 €, which is very expensive for a gps receiver, but it is really tiny, and matches the the (black) colour of the psp very nicely

Here in the Netherlands I have (outdoors) usually 7 or 8 sattelites, indoors sometimes up to 4...

and its very easy to hook up to a psp, if you are willing to hack into your psp remote , or just buy a cable...

DCEmu Newbie

well i made up my mind i sold the psp290 and bought a 236. it should be here any day now. i got my cable all set which was alot easier to do then i thought. Sorry sony but when i sit in an open parking lot with no building bigger than a singlefloored house and after 15 minutes i can only find 3 sats and cant get a fix.

DCEmu Regular

Jpc2, it depends very much on used PRX files, newer Mapthis software and weather circumstances.

If it raines, reception is horrible, but if the sun shines, GPS is fine.

I bought a PSP-290 because Holux ones are expensive, and they don't fit directly onto PSP.

I don't like having another cable from my PSP to some device. I already have a car charger and sometimes Headphones plugged in.

Face this, with Irshell i can multitask => listen Mp3's (even on headphones) while driving around with GPS

DCEmu Newbie

all the days i tried it on were perfect weather. i tried all the possible combinations or 2.71, 3.03, and 3.10 prx files with the same results. I myself have and ipod which i use to listen to music. and if i am watching a moving in my car with my psp i dont need teh gps on any ways so i can plug in my fm transmitter to play it through my car. Plus i have also been working on a mod for the cable to add an addition audio jack so you can plug in headphones. so far it works without the gps attached. once it gets here ill try it with the gps running.

DCEmu Newbie

Default Ello

Quote Originally Posted by jpc2 View Post
    Hey every one. I have been playing around with the psp290 and i am not very pleased. It is small and sleek but that damn thing just does not work. Most of the time it doesnt connect and when it does connect the signal is very weak and drops. So i am opting to buy and GPSlim but i dont know if i should buy the 236 or the 240 or if there is any other one that would be best to get. I was jsut wondering if people could leave there feed back here about the receiver they use and where they use it. IE in the city or in the country and what not.
    I too own psp-290 gps.

It took me about 3 weeks, very frustrating 3 weeks learning and getting it up and running.

Its weired and i have mixed results with the unit,

then out of knowhere today i turned it on and sure enough, lees then a minute it fixed to satilliets no prob. What i am using are the supplied .prx found in this forum i belive its 2.71 usbbac and 3.03 usbgps.

I found i get a quicker fix if i do the following

-using 3.03 SEC and "one of the best plug in ever"
    i make sure that i am set to 3xx mode not 1.50"
    -Then while in my XMB i plug in then unit
    -Now i have customized my psp to do a cold reboot if u click on network update
    -holding down r at the same time will then bring me into recovery
    -then i ensure no pluging are running
    -exit
    -start maplus

I think its quicker because of driver issues with the loaddin of the prx files when starting the psp ( much like windows 98 LOL) I dunno hope this helps.

If its a matter of power perhaps a ubacc.prx or usbgps.prx could be modified to draw more power?
    Would be nice if DA could implement such a feature?
    or Perhaps Deniska may be able to help.

Im sticking with it because mainly i spent 150 on it but im sure it will be improved upon after all its a sony Gps designed for psp:thumbup:

Thread Information