Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DCemu branding and identity issues.

Default DCemu branding and identity issues.

I was kind of noticing that as a whole the DCemu site mill is getting REALLY confusing and seems to be sort of suffering from a brand/identity/design inconsistency.

in one instance there is the old, big head little body DC controller forum stuff.

..then there are the new site headers.

... and these things:

and then there is the constant presence of the 64 icons.

then you get into all of this other stuff:
    this thing is pretty horrific:

...and whatever this abomination is:

and then there is this the latest wordpress thing:

probably the most easily solved issues you guys are having is the addition of these new pc-gaming.dcemu.co.uk headers and what not.

ok let's take a look:

now this is a screenshot from a 1400x900 monitor running firefox.
    what do we see?
    1. a lot of ads, so many you dont see any content
    2. a lot of network site navigation links
    3. a leader board header with a single psp image centered in it.
    4. another set of site nav links, in drop down menu form
    5. more main nav site links, under the header
    6. a left column of what seems to be useful links
    7. a right side column for the user menu, thats basically empty.
    8. in the center column we have google adsense dominating the space.
    9. of course over that, another ad from success HK
    10. under that... why more ADs!!!! and more links AWAY from where we just got to.

honestly, this is a nightmare.
    I'm not trying to be insulting or rude.
    I do consultation for Nike, Mountain Dew, Pepsi, Converse, etc etc...
    And consequentially I am an art director and designer.

I'm asked for these consultations, or I solicit them, to cut through the crap and to address serious usability issues in the visual design, brand and interactive media fields.

So this isn't being rude.
    I'm just being straight to the point and as a user of the site have had more than my fair share of confusion finding and navigating the info here.

I'd like to open a dialog about it.
    I'd like to improve on the site, or at least address the issues to make them known.

I just don't want to waste my time.

I have heaps of work to do and I want to come away with an even exchange and not some charity work.

So If you aren't open to it thats fine. I just wanted to give it you straight.
    I'm down to grow this site.
    But I need get something out of it beyond fan-boy worship on your forums.
    plus I don't want to bark up the wrong tree, or possibly be addressing issues you are already solving.

the bottom line, I can help, as long as we are moving forward and solving these serious brand/design/usability issues.

DCEmu Rookie

Wouldn't this have been better in a PM and/or better written?

Its freaking sinmple just cause your a dumb noob dosent mean the rest of us are!

Quote Originally Posted by t_j View Post
    Its freaking sinmple just cause your a dumb noob dosent mean the rest of us are!
    this site isn't simple.
    it has probably MILLIONS of pieces of info.
    And now it has MANY sub property sites.

whenever a NEW user comes to a site, it is very important for them to be able to utilize the site as easily as an experienced visitor.

I have had 30 or so non mod-gamer friends come here and immediately jet. they thought it was a warez/virus/ad farm.

I'm writing this because people aren't getting the well rounded experience here outside of the forums.
    this is just an initial topic started to create a discussion about said issues.
    it is the design forum.

I have been coming to DCemu since about.... 2001/02 or omething? it was a while ago...
    dcemu.co.uk was the only original url. I think.
    I started to get into/checkout dreamcast mods, so I started coming here.
    I returned here for some GBA sp info and when I saw them posting a lot of really good psp info after I got a psp I frequented quite a bit.

the site was smaller, and the site had a consistent look.
    anyway...

This post is meant to be helpful, but establish a level of open inquiry.

There is no need to discuss the written "quality" of my post.
    It's straight forward and voices my observations in a direct manner.

so unless you have some sort of intelligent site design related info in direct relation to this thread, please don't waste our time.

DCEmu Rookie

Are you high?

I don't get it.
    we are in the design forum.

This is chance to look at this stuff objectively and improve it.
    What is the problem?

Now with Blast Processing! Kaiser's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well I understand where your coming from to a certain extent. The PSP site needs a bit of reorganizing, thats definatley obvious but as far as our graphics go, I don't see anything wrong with them. A lot of those logo's are simply different facets of our network and our host's network.

Our Administrator DarkSaviour69 has been working his ass off reorganizing a few sites and I believe he has been successful in cleaning up their image.

http://xbox360.dcemu.co.uk/
    http://dreamcast.dcemu.co.uk/

I'd also recommend looking at our portal site.

DCemu is almost in a constant state of restructuring due to extremly fast growth so its normal to have the odd design flaw here and there.

True... But does it really matter. This is a very well known site and a very good one.

I am NOT in ANYWAY trying to KNOCK what you guys have going on with the new color coded site properties.
    I think that is the best thing to happen in months.

I know from firsthand experience how hard it is to take on a massive task like this.
    I also know how hard it can be take criticism, constructive or not after putting in all that hard work.

So please don't mistake my effort here for anything other than genuine desire to be a contributor on a level that utilizes my professional level of skill.

I do also realize that a lot of the "logos" floating around are part of different properties.
    I'm trying to tackle a lot of ground in one post and then hopefully part it out into attainable task sets.

I'd like to use a forum like this to post design screenshots and see what users think. but I'd like to do it collectively and know I'm not just humoring myself.

Now with Blast Processing! Kaiser's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by diceone View Post
    I am NOT in ANYWAY trying to KNOCK what you guys have going on with the new color coded site properties.
    I think that is the best thing to happen in months.

I know from firsthand experience how hard it is to take on a massive task like this.
    I also know how hard it can be take criticism, constructive or not after putting in all that hard work.

So please don't mistake my effort here for anything other than genuine desire to be a contributor on a level that utilizes my professional level of skill.

I do also realize that a lot of the "logos" floating around are part of different properties.
    I'm trying to tackle a lot of ground in one post and then hopefully part it out into attainable task sets.

I'd like to use a forum like this to post design screenshots and see what users think. but I'd like to do it collectively and know I'm not just humoring myself.
    PM an Admin by the name of souLLy he's our resident web designer here and would be better to talk to on such matters. I'm sure you'd have some interesting discussion with him.

And don't worry, I'm not taking your input as an insult here. DCemu has never been against constructive criticism as long as its supported by information and presented in a civil manner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information