Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got an Xbox (NOT a 360).

Default Just got an Xbox (NOT a 360).

Hey, I just got an Xbox, a bit late..yes, I know. I have a few questions regarding the whole process.
    What's the best dashboard to use?
    Does the softmod process differ for each dashboard?
    If I can't set up an FTP, can I load my emulators/homebrew on DVD-R's and run them when I want to?
    And the last one (I think), how long would a softmod take? Thanks.

Well the only Dashboard worth worrying about is XBMC
    (XBOX Media Center)
    there are alot of guides for soft modding here http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox-tutorials.php?p=151|374|375|#151
    if you are connecting your XBOX straight up to a PC (no router) you need a crossover cable (usually a red cable)
    yes you can load emulators, homebrew, mp3 and any video file type imaginable on to a DVD-R
    my strong suggestion would be to get a chip and a 200GB HDD even if you just use it for mp3 and videos its more than worth it.
    welcome to XBOX homebrew Im sure you'll love it
    PM me if ya need anymore help

Edit: Also you'll need bit torrent or IRC to get the homebrew

Yeah I would go with XBMC and softmod over a hardware mod.

Here is a good tutorial to install XBMC:
    http://www.productwiki.com/microsoft...0_minutes.html

I would also get a 120 gb hard drive at least so you can put tons of Emulators, roms, games, and other files on your xbox.

Xbox is the greatest homebrew console so far, I am surprised it wasn't more popular in the homebrew world.

Good Luck!

lol, a little late there buddy...jk, congrats and like people said above, medai center is a nice mod...

Hmm. I was always annoyed by having to wait 10 extra seconds for XBMC to load as a dashboard. Since I've been around the xbox scene since the very beginning, I still use EvoX. Sure, it aint pretty... but it does a damn good job.

yeah those extra 10 seconds do suck and I would go evox or avalaunch if not for xbmc
    I found avalaunch ftp's a bit quicker.. but xbmc with the mc360 skin is pretty unreal!
    I got the X3 control panel and Xtender case with one HDD dedicated to Linux for a lounge PC and I can honestly say Im absolutely stoked with what I can do with a $600au investment
    I can control it all with my psp which is an added bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n 1time View Post
    Hmm. I was always annoyed by having to wait 10 extra seconds for XBMC to load as a dashboard. Since I've been around the xbox scene since the very beginning, I still use EvoX. Sure, it aint pretty... but it does a damn good job.
    I prefer UnleashX myself. I like to keep it simple.

Okay, thanks for everything guys, I'm going to go with XBMC, and pick up a hard drive later on. I still need to get an Action Replay. I'll wait the extra ten seconds for MC to load as long as it's worth it, I like having fancy layouts, lol.
    One last question: This is really stupid, but I just want to make sure I don't mess up. The wire needed for the FTP is an ethernet cable, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm-Death View Post
    Okay, thanks for everything guys, I'm going to go with XBMC, and pick up a hard drive later on. I still need to get an Action Replay. I'll wait the extra ten seconds for MC to load as long as it's worth it, I like having fancy layouts, lol.
    One last question: This is really stupid, but I just want to make sure I don't mess up. The wire needed for the FTP is an ethernet cable, right?
    It can be done with a boring old ethernet cable, I'm pretty sure anyway. I'm sure there are instructions somewhere on xbox-scene.com. If you have a router or a hub it makes things a little easier.

If you are using a router, hub, or switch you can use a standard ethernet cable but if you go straight from your xbox to your pc you will need to get a crossover cable. Don't worry though crossover cables are easy to find and are the same price as regular cables. They are just wired different on one end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information