Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harrison: Blu-ray Vital For PS3, Better Integrated Than DVD On PS2

Blog Entries

ps3 Harrison: Blu-ray Vital For PS3, Better Integrated Than DVD On PS2

via gamasutra

When asked: "Do you think that Blu-ray will be as important to the PS3 as DVD was to the PS2, or is it a slightly different scenario?", Harrison was clear in his initial reply: "I think that Blu-ray Disc as a movie format is vital for PlayStation 3, but it's more necessary as a game format."

He continued of the Blu-ray format: "We need that storage space. You know from talking to developers who know what the demands are for next-generation games, in terms of storage space. They are having to compromise on other systems in order to fit their games onto DVD."

The president of Sony's Worldwide Studios organization then commented, in frank style: "I think what the difference between PS2 as a DVD player and PS3 as a Blu-ray Disc player -- and I'm going to get shot for saying this -- but on PS2, we didn't make the best DVD player. On PS3, it's the best Blu-ray Disc player. So that is a big difference."

DCEmu Newbie

So 8.5gig is not enough? I do relish having a BD player, apart from having to save up for a true HD telly (1080p).

But to effectively say that developers have to compromise to squeeze their games onto DVD is a bit daft, maybe if they reduced the number of cut scenes there would be more room for game play / textures etc.

I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this but I didn't think the PS2 DVD player was that bad, considering the time it was released. You had to pay quite a lot for a stand alone deck (my Sony DVP-336 cost £250) and the updated software that came with the official remote added a bit more functionality to it too.

i still use my ps2 as my dvd player :P i dont really find much wrong with it

the BD player is probably going to be very useful in coming years though.

PS3 User

Quote Originally Posted by Demibeard View Post
    But to effectively say that developers have to compromise to squeeze their games onto DVD is a bit daft, maybe if they reduced the number of cut scenes there would be more room for game play / textures etc.
    But with 25 gigabytes of Blu-ray storage sitting there you don't even NEED to think about reducing the number of cut scenes, you can have all your textures in a larger size, you can have more uncompressed music, the list goes on.

There really is no point of having a next-gen machine with a last-gen storage medium.

Quote Originally Posted by 808 View Post
    But with 25 gigabytes of Blu-ray storage sitting there you don't even NEED to think about reducing the number of cut scenes, you can have all your textures in a larger size, you can have more uncompressed music, the list goes on.

There really is no point of having a next-gen machine with a last-gen storage medium.
    I agree with you completely and I usually agree with you. In fact, I have come to a conclusion: you love PS3 and you might even be a bit of a fanboy (kind of like me ).

PS3 User

Quote Originally Posted by mavsman4457 View Post
    I agree with you completely and I usually agree with you. In fact, I have come to a conclusion: you love PS3 and you might even be a bit of a fanboy (kind of like me :)).
    Let's just say March 23rd is going to be the greatest day of my life :)

Quote Originally Posted by 808 View Post
    Let's just say March 23rd is going to be the greatest day of my life
    Same here :P but i wont be on the PS3 too long School and i also dont want to spend to long on it because it does me in gaming to long i need exersies :P

lol tree im taking a day off like i do at every consle launch

East of Lost Angels , West of Victom Ville

still don't have a hd tv. but i want my ps3
    and wii

PS3 User

I feel bad for all you guys that don't have the system out by you! I got mine in the US launch and must say the Blue Ray format is honestly my favorite part of the system. It is a ton better then ps2's dvd drive although the options for navigating are the same its absolutely one of the only things I have been using my PS3 for lately probably because of it's *caugh caugh* lack of games to play on it. I have seen some reviews stating how the picture is weaker then other blue ray players and blah blah blah about all this other minor stuff but from what I have seen personally is one of the best pictures I have ever seen in my life. Hope all you guys enjoy yours next week! Hopefully when its out there this place will start picking up on some more news about the system to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information