Thread: Sega Tec Toy update

Blog Entries

Dreamcast Sega Tec Toy update

via insert credit

For those who don't know Sega Tec Toy, Tec Toy was formed in brazil in 1987 to create electronic toys. They partnered with Sega to bring the Master System and Genesis to brazil, and continued to release games for the SMS well into the 2000s, including a number of brazillian exclusives and impressive ports. The company recently released (in 2006) a version of the Master System with 120 games, some of which are brazil-originals (but no cart slot - see digital press forums for a good discussion of that), so apparently that business is still going strong.

But most people know about Tec Toy's SMS ports - and maybe a few even know about their Mega Drive exclusives, like Duke Nukem 3D. But what grabbed my attention upon browsing their new site, was the Saturn and Dreamcast stuff. While (as far as I know) no brazil-exclusive games were published, it's interesting to see which games they chose to release. Here's the Dreamcast list, and the Saturn list. Mostly early titles, with a smattering of newer stuff, like Burning Rangers and Sonic Adventure 2, respectively. It's also worth noting that they (apparently) released the smoke Saturn in brazil, which is quite hard to get over here. Shame Tec Toy didn't really give the Saturn and Dreamcast a second life as with the SMS, but it's still pretty nostalgaic to watch old videos of Dreamcast games... and the company is currently running the servers for Ragnarok Online in brazil, so it seems like they'll be around for at least a little while longer. Incidentally, if anyone out there speaks portuguese fluently and wants to help me get a little more information, I'd appreciate an email!

Much More Info and Links at Insert Credit

I have already been in contact with them in the last year. Unfortunatelly, they don't work anymore with Saturn and Dreamcast lines for several years, and don't even have anything else to sell. Both products were huge fails here, mainly due to high taxes in videogames and its consequently overprice (today SMS is found by US$ 120,00, and Mega Drive by US$ 140,00. Official Wii releases costs US$ 1.115,00 and official XBox360 costs 1.395,00).

The info in Tec Toy's page come from total lack of updating in last years, when they stopped importing DC and Saturns, which were never produced by them.

too bad they didn't suport saturn and dreamcast like they did with the old machines

Quote Originally Posted by JKKDARK View Post
    too bad they didn't suport saturn and dreamcast like they did with the old machines
    Well as long as i know tectoy buy the rights to "REPRODUCE" the technology of the boards, so they support this products here in Brazil...

But i really do not know if they produce the dreamcast or satturn... maybe yes...
    well think for yourselves.

Dreamcast :: Produto

Com uma performance de 128 bits, equipado com um poderoso processador central RISC, uma engine de gráficos 3D totalmente independente e um chip para áudio 3D com 64 canais, o Dreamcast une o mais moderno em tecnologia de entretenimento em um console de design arrojado e gráficos e sons inéditos.

Acompanha: 1 Dreamcast Controller, 1 cabo AV, 1 cabo AC e manual de instruções em Português. Bivolt automático.
    Dreamcast Product:
    High performance of 128bits, equiped with a powerfull risc main processor, an independent 3d engine and a chip for 3daudio with 64 channel, Dreamcast brings the most advanced technology of entertainment in one console...
    Cames with: 1 controller, 1 avcable, 1 ac cable and portuguese manual.

They do not offer the option to buy it on-line but we can contact them...
    EDIT:
    Here is the link: http://asp.tectoy.com.br/videogame/dreamcast/index.asp
    Edit II: http://asp.tectoy.com.br/videogame/dreamcast/index.asp contact page is offline
    Edit III:
    Here it's a list for "where to buy places": http://asp.tectoy.com.br/videogame/d...de_comprar.asp

Well, Tillman, unfortunatelly, they don1t suport these systems anymore, for several years. This site is not update for years (at least, since 2004). I went to Manaus last year (their factory), and then e-mailed them to know if I could buy new games with them. They just told me about some store in São Paulo where I could find games and parts, and that they don't work anymore with Dreamcast.

Thread Information