Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the Dreamcast Failed!

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

Default Why the Dreamcast Failed!

well form what i see japanese sales figures

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~hokora/dcrank.html

the biggest selling game in japan is Sonic Adventure which sold just under 1/2 million units, but in the states it sold over 1 million

other interesting figures:
    Shenmue: jap:326,222 US:458,977 more sold in the US
    Soul Calibur II: jap:288,604 US:573,619 twice as much sold in the US
    CRAZY TAXI: jap:113,177 US: 966,665 9 times more sold in US

this i can't belive
    Jet Grind Radio: jap: 47,840 US:291,609

I don't know why the Dreamcast failed, because i never had the idea to re-sell it, even if i bought a PS2.

Sega lost their trust and gave up whereas all wasn't lost.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

mmm the title of the topic is abit extreme, but my point is that japan sales are useally the highest, it just goes to show how much stronger the sales are in US where compared to Jap

oops sorry. in europe the dreamcast has failed very early.

I think those values are a little skewed. I remember reading higher numbers in an old issue of Dorimaga - right after they stopped calling themselves Dreamcast Magazine.

DCEmu Pro

Another reason was name recognition sales on the ps2, and poeple had lost confidence with sega post saturn, also when sega dropped the megadrive/genesis, after releasing a whole slew of addons

DCEmu Newbie

I believe that sega made another critical mistake by dumping the dreamcast as early as it did. It just adds more distrust from consumers, and when you add it to the saturns short lifespan, the segacd and 32x nonsupport then it really makes them look bad. I could understand them cutting back production on the dc and making titles for other consoles but what is unforgivable to me is that they wont port any titles to the dc at all. They may as well be slapping customers who bought their system in the face.

DCEmu Regular

I think that Dreamcast has(or had) the power to hit the market(it did it)...but not as much as sega wanted......Or in other words you should also thing and the other side......
    Can you imagine how much money sega lose with the copies?......
    Maybe they couldnt afford it because their buget has been drpped crazy with Sega Saturn!!!!!!.......

DCEmu Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rcgamer
    I believe that sega made another critical mistake by dumping the dreamcast as early as it did. It just adds more distrust from consumers, and when you add it to the saturns short lifespan, the segacd and 32x nonsupport then it really makes them look bad. I could understand them cutting back production on the dc and making titles for other consoles but what is unforgivable to me is that they wont port any titles to the dc at all. They may as well be slapping customers who bought their system in the face.

That's silly thats like saying nintendo not developing games for the N64 is a slap in the face, Sega have pretty much dropped the DC, you cant expect them to keep porting games to it, easpecially as if they did they'd probably lose money,when the whole point of them leaving the hardware scene was fpr them to recoup some of the mega losses they had made in the last few years.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Mental2k
    That's silly thats like saying nintendo not developing games for the N64 is a slap in the face, Sega have pretty much dropped the DC, you cant expect them to keep porting games to it, easpecially as if they did they'd probably lose money,when the whole point of them leaving the hardware scene was fpr them to recoup some of the mega losses they had made in the last few years.
    whats silly is you comparing the dc to n64. lets see is the n64 nintendos latest console? no. Does it have anywhere near the power of DC. No. The DC was made to compete against and get the jump on sonys ps2.
    It would not cost near as much for sega to port titles that it had already developed to the dc as it did for them to make titles only for dc. If small game developers can come out with games for it and turn a profit then sega sure as hell could.
    Segas recent (in console terms)track record speaks for itself. If you are going to put out a console then you should support it and it should have a longer life than 2 or 3 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information