Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PS3 Not Doomed By Slower Sales

Blog Entries

ps3 PS3 Not Doomed By Slower Sales

via kotaku

When the recent NPD sales figures for February hit last week, there was much doom and gloom cast over Sony's PLAYSTATION 3 performance. Selling a paltry 127,000 PS3s while stores were uncharacteristically rich with supply did not bode well for the console and fostered doubt that gamers were ready for PS3's $500 and $600 price points.

But while the Xbox 360 bested the PS3 at retailers by a solid 100,000 units last month, don't think that Sony's out of the game. 1UP's Luke Smith contends that, in the proper perspective, sales of the PLAYSTATION 3 really aren't that bad. In fact, they're better than Microsoft's numbers during the same time period last year.

Obviously, there are many other facts to consider, such as the limited supply of Xbox 360s during that period and the $200 price difference between the next-gen consoles, but Luke addresses all that. Its a fascinating look at how Sony and the PS3 may not actually be DOOMED!

I think the lack of PS3 exclusives (they're coming to 360) will be the last nail in the PS3 coffin.

Lol This makes me wonder. At what point will sony just hang the ps3 out to dry. I mean think about it. If the best thing the ps3 has going for it is "were not doomed" .Then really if you give the competition the credit it deserves for its current market share.
    Then yeah. really they are doomed. A little over four months since its U.S release. And this is the kind of news perpetuating around the ps3? "were not doomed?"

Okiedokie :rofl:

Blog Entries

i still think its a bit early to say that ANYONE is DOOMED. however hearing it so many times this fast is a bit alarming.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowprophet View Post
    Lol This makes me wonder. At what point will sony just hang the ps3 out to dry. I mean think about it. If the best thing the ps3 has going for it is "were not doomed" .Then really if you give the competition the credit it deserves for its current market share.
    Then yeah. really they are doomed. A little over four months since its U.S release. And this is the kind of news perpetuating around the ps3? "were not doomed?"

Okiedokie :rofl:
    PS3 is actually doing really good considering the price and actual competition this year (unlike Microsoft). There are a ton of PS3 games to come so don't count Sony out of the race

Thumbs up In defence of Nity.

I don't understand how people can say its too early to declare that one console had won over another. If the tables where to have been turned in favor of ps3 this generation, sony fan boys everywhere would have been screaming from the top of their lungs. "Yet another failure from nintendo- Just like the N64 and Game cube before it"

People somehow fail to accept that at the moment and really since launch. The wii has been on fire and steadily held over 50% of the market. With the 360 holding steady because of its full year head start. and the ps3 performing miserably with a meager 18%.
    And we must realize a lot of the meager sales the ps3 has gotten have been because of strategically placed launch schedules. The ps3 was just recently launched in europe. And of course launch day is going to sell a few consoles.

Ultimately. People can scream what they want to about the price of the console not effecting there decisions. and they can get insulting toward other people saying things like" If you cant afford it then stop whining.exct." The short simple fact of the matter is.

600+ dollars is a taboo price tag for a home console. The neo geo was a great system.
    But with its price tag. never entered the main stream competition. Not because it wasn't good. But because people have limits to how badly they want to be $#@!d at a cash register just for pretty graphics.

I think the over all idea of how gullible the average gamer is. is vastly over estimated by console developers.

People know what they want. And the short simple sweet fact is. People aren't going to break a grand just for pretty graphics. they didn't do it with the Neo Geo, And they aren't going to do it with the ps3.

And lets face it. What else can a ps3 give someone that other consoles cant. except for pretty graphics?

The signs of the seasons are all around us. Developers that wouldn't have touched the game cube are flocking to the wii. with no end in site. Nintendo now has its up and coming third party support, which was the only reason people said nintendo failed in previous gens.

Is it the fact that people cant accept that nintendo is winning, that they cant admit to?
    Or are they just being soft on a competitor that would have destroyed nintendo and wiped its ass with its left over IP.

I say its time to be fair about the issue.

People claim its to early to declare a winner and in fairness, That's possible. But its not so early that even a blind man could see nintendo is mopping the floor with the competition this Gen.
    With no end in sight.

DCEmu Newbie

True but with the Wii holding alot of the same gameplay over and over again. how soon will it be untill the gamers get mad.

just Because God of War is a good game doesn't mean i want 50 rehashed titles. i want one with 2 at the most.

And what happend when nintendo was bragging about how wii would be so good for FPS well we all saw what happened there. shotty controlles ruin a game

I do belive we need more time to find out what PS3 can offer us it's still a young system but at it's age it still has better games then 360 had at it's time

I would know i have a 360 have a PS3 and play wii all the time. i still find my PS3 on more then anything else.

and the truth is people will pay for graphics i think the computer indrustry is proof of that with the new high end cards coming in at $500.00-$600.00. just for one part. but you still need good ram a good CPU a good motherboard just to tap the power of your graphics card.

in retrospect, PS3 sits at a very good price point in my view. this is not because of the Blu-ray drive wich i found many good uses for. but because of what it contains the unit as a whole.

and now that the PS3 can use Folding@home and i've seen how fast it does this i beleave in the power of the unit.

Sony is not ready to tap out. wich means i'm not ready to turn my back, why would i do that to a company that has given me so much. no other game company has let me beta test 3 PSP games.(currently beta testing Killzone liberation online patch) no other company has given free games(games givein Guitar Hero, prince of pershia the two thrones, and GTA San andreas)

so i say give sony and the PS3 time for all you nay sayers out there you really haven't experianced the PS3

Meh.Wii has been a disappointment for me. I haven't touched it in weeks and there aren't many games I'm looking forward to. Truth is the PS3 price is whats stopping people from buying. I for one don't have $800 to blow at the moment, but when I do I'll definitely get a PS3. Plus tons of games will be coming out which will boost PS3 sales (in case you haven't noticed, check the release dates on IGN). Theres many reasons to get one, just people don't have the money atm. Just watch this summer, the PS3 sales will pick up as students get summer jobs.

Wii was at first a disapointment for me too. But when my 360 up and died I started playing my Wii more. As it seems, I didnt give Zelda TP nearly the chance it deserved. It starts out bad but it rocks!

And there are a few games im looking forward too--

Animal Crossing
    SSB Brawl
    Mario Galaxy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information