Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SD Gecko VS SD Media Launcher

Default SD Gecko VS SD Media Launcher

EDIT: This comparison is now pretty pointless, read the text bold in red at the end of this post!

Don't know which one should buy? Read this:

Sure there are lots of modchips for GameCube/Wii, but homebrew software (BIOSes to run backups, emulators, homebrew games, mp3 players,...) can be played in a more easy way without the need to be burned in some media. I'm talking about run homebrew stuff through SD cards. You don't need to open your home system, so you do not loose the warranty and risk your pretty system. You don't need to spend time and money in burning a new disc each time you want to change the content, the version of some program, add a new mp3,... you simply move them to a SD card, and play it through SD Gecko or SD Media Launcher method. I see there is some confusion about them, so I compare both SD methods here.

SD Gecko adapter

Stuff needed:

SD Gecko + Action Replay (any new AR works now)
    or SD Gecko + modchip (to launch a SDLoad self booting disc or an Action Replay backup)

Homebrew compatibility:

100% compatibility. Sdload is the old pioneer menu system that allows to run homebrew software from SD cards with the help of an Action Replay disc. The GameCube homebrew stuff have been made and tested to work through sdload, since it was the traditional way for SD cards.

Price:

SD Gecko adapter can be found new in ebay for about 15USD shipping included
    Action Replay can be found in some online shops for around 25USD
    Total price is about 40$

Other comments:

With Action Replay you don't only get a disc to launch sdload. Action Replay is a product that lets you run lots of unofficial cheats for most GameCube games (cheats that will unlock secrets, hidden characters, will help you to success in the game, funny cheats,...). Futhermore Action Replay includes Freeloader that allows to play games from other regions.

Pros:

+You get more for less $ (SD method + best cheat system + freeloader)
    +100% homebrew compatibility

Cons:

-More complex (you need to follow this tutorial to get it working)

SD Media Launcher

Stuff needed:

Disc and SD adapter all included in the same SD Media Launcher package

Homebrew compatibility:

Lower compatibility. Datel fastly did a sdload clone after Wii launch, but it misses some stuff and not all the homebrew software works on it since the homebrew software was made to work on sdload firstly.

Price:

SD Media Launcher is 50$ shipping not included

Other comments:

With this package you don't need to buy anything more. You get all the needed stuff to get it working, so it is more simple than SD Gecko + Action Replay. Furthermore, to get sdload running in Action Replay, you need to enter a long code. With SD Media Launcher you get all ready to work.

Other thing homebrew scene lovers should care is the fact that Datel removed in newest version of Action Replay the 'add code' feature (the feature that allowed to play to some amazing new codes such as play with Sandbag or Crazy Hand in SSBM) so people with newest version can't load sdload and needs to buy the SD Media Launcher instead of an additional SD Gecko. To sum up, Datel made a worst version of their Action Replay simply as an attempt to make still more $$$ from the homebrew scene.

Pros:

+More easy (all in the same package ready to work)

Cons:

-You get less for more $ (only sd method)
    -Lower homebrew compatibility
    -You give more money to a company that only cares about money, not customers

Well, that's all. Hope you enjoyed this comparison, and don't forget to ask if you have some question!
    Source:
    http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4246

EDIT:

Now SD Media Launcher is being bricked by Nintendo's last firmware. So the way to do it is getting a SD Gecko and running sdload through Action Replay. If you own a modchip, you can launch a sdload autoboot disc instead or even an Action Replay backup. You can find SD Gecko with worldwide shipping and best price at Adictron store

Sorry, no way for SD Media Launcher users, so get a SD Gecko instead.
    Last edited by 160R; February 21st, 2008 at 01:28.

Yeah, Datel sucks!

They don't suck completely - they are just pussies, scared of making piracy possible with their products. Which ends up with them being harshly restricted...

Have you seen Datel's DS homebrew offerings? DON'T EVEN BOTHER.

I'd go with the more compatible homebrew one.
    I don't go on here much anymore. Find me on GBAtemp.

definately.

As a coder, I went for the least compatible one. That way, SDML users will be able to run what I release in the future.
    My development blog:
    http://aaiiee.wordpress.com/

If you enjoy my homebrew work, please consider donating a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    As a coder, I went for the least compatible one. That way, SDML users will be able to run what I release in the future.
    Well, that's the stuff you release in a future VS all the stuff already released with sdload and that will be released in a future (all homebrew programs, emulators, mp3 players,...)

Anyways, there is already a patch or something somewhere to fix SML compatibility so can use sdload and have the same great compatibility than SD Gecko.

DCEmu Newbie

Default SD Gecko

It seems to me that the SD Gecko is a better way to go. I've been looking into buying one and it is very difficult to find one, especially at a decent price nowadays (either low supply or low demand, I'm not sure which). I looked into it further and discovered that I could probably sell them for about $15 shipped. This is at least $5 cheaper than the cheapest ebay ones right now and $10 cheaper than other websites w/ shipping. Yes, I would be making some money but it would also hopefully help out the homebrew community (players and developers). Are people still interested enough in this to warrant me buying a large quantity? What do you guys think?

Agreed. For non-programmers I'd say SD Gecko & AR is definitely the way to go.

There are a few Geckos on Euro eBay sites, not sure about others.
    My development blog:
    http://aaiiee.wordpress.com/

If you enjoy my homebrew work, please consider donating a few bucks.

For non programmers and also for programmers

There are SD Gecko in almost all ebay pages (ebay.com, ebay.com.au, ebay.fr, ebay.es,...)

The cost of selling them on ebay is:

Price of product + price of international shipping (postal service fees, envelope, handling) + ebay fees (post and selling fees) + paypal fees + government fees + other indirect costs (storing, defective or lost packages, currency conversions,...)

It is about 5$ lower price than other webpages. 20$ shipping included maybe isn't that high margin of benefits...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information