Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Last gasps of a dying format

For movies, I think the UMD is successful because of the storage space and that you don't have to worry about load times and such, its portable for sure, but it was too expensive initially, and the lacking of ability to share with others on a large display television has caused the UMD movie format to DIE.

ya what killed it was:

1. Lack of multiple media players for it(only psp)

2. High Costs and without extras like DVDs.

I actually like the UMD movies. They come in crystal-clear quality and I don't have to put it on my memory stick. I only have a 1GB so I only keep my music and PSone games on it (I have to switch 'em frequently through my PC). So for people like me with limited storage space, I find UMDs are fairly good. Now if Sony could release a cord that can connect your PSP to a big TV to watch movies or play games, then I think UMDs would go through the roof.

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Temple Pilots View Post
    I actually like the UMD movies...
    The problem is not enough people do.

I wouldn't buy a UMD movie if it was... free.

whatever anyone says i like umd movies.i own about 7 of them including metropolis which is my favourite.when i see a good movie i'll buy it.just for my collection.

i think umds are worthless just get a 4 gig card and u can put a good amount of movies probably like 4 or 5

i liked the ease of umd movies, but i never bought any because they didn't match my economic value point. the price is what killed it, in my opinion. for 5-7 dollars wouldn't you think of buying a movie just to have the best quality without all the encoding headaches. [don't get me wrong it isn't that big of a deal, but i'd rather have my memory card for games, than movies]

DCEmu Rookie

I always think that the umd psp storage box/packaging is just too big for mobile means.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n 1time View Post
    When they start selling them for $5, then they will be really popular. Till then forget it. Id rather watch a DVD with all the extras and pay the same price.
    I couldn't have said it better myself. $5-$10 would be an ideal price. For now, I'd rather save my money and rent the DVD and rip it to my memory stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Temple Pilots View Post
    I actually like the UMD movies. They come in crystal-clear quality and I don't have to put it on my memory stick. I only have a 1GB so I only keep my music and PSone games on it (I have to switch 'em frequently through my PC). So for people like me with limited storage space, I find UMDs are fairly good. Now if Sony could release a cord that can connect your PSP to a big TV to watch movies or play games, then I think UMDs would go through the roof.
    Having some kind of cable that would connect my PSP to a TV would be awesome. I know it wouldn't be best quality, but PSP is much more portable than a DVD player.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information