Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: In Japan, What Controllers Are Popular?

Blog Entries

General games In Japan, What Controllers Are Popular?

via kotaku

A Japanese poll has popped up in which folks have been voting for their favorite game controller. Not that many people have voted, but it's an interesting list so far. As of writing, here are the most popular ones:

Sega Saturn Controller: 74 votes
    Super Famicom Controller: 28
    Mega-Drive Fighting Pad: 27
    Nintendo 64 Controller: 19
    NES FIGHTING COMMANDER: 14
    PS2 Real Arcade Pro. Special Edition: 14
    Dreamcast Controller: 13
    PS2 Sega Saturn Controller: 13
    XBOX Controller: 12
    GameCube Controller: 12
    So. What are your favs?

DCEmu Pro

The first 3 wherent all that great in my opinion.

My favorite in terms of how it played and fit, I would definately say it is the original controller that came in box with the ps2. Fit like a glove. Metaphorically speaking anyways.

Japan has different tastes in gaming. Fighters are more popular, hence why the fighter oriented Saturn controller is the most popular.

My favorite controllers:
    6 button Genesis controller (similar to Saturn)
    Dreamcast
    SNES
    Xbox 360
    Nintendo Wiimote

DCEmu Art Pro

I like SNES

DCEmu Newbie

Snes was just too small.. I've always liked the N64 controller. Yes, it didnt have 2 analogues for FPS's. But for everything else it's brilliant!

To be honest, I rather enjoyed the n64 controller. The SNES controller was nice and easy too. I also rather enjoyed the classic xbox controller and the DC controller for some reason.

I thought and still think the SNES contoller is great.

DCEmu Newbie

This is so sad. There should only be two options (maybe three), Being:
    the Duke
    Xbox 360 pad
    Playstation 1 pad (this was revolutionary...lame on ps2 and pathetic on ps3)

DCEmu Rookie

I have to totally agree with Saturn pad. Back in the day when I had a Saturn all I had were imports. Fighters, shmups, you name it.
    Later on, I was having issues trying to find a good pad to use on the PC for emulated games. Sega annouced they were releasing an anniversary version of Puyo Puyo for the PC.....the big catch was that it was going to be bundled with a USB Saturn controller that could work on other games as well. I imported that bad boy, hooked it up with MAME among other emus, and it became the perfect controller. People reccomend the 360 pad for the PC. I think the D-pad on it is garbage. Don't get me wrong. I like the 360 controller for the 360, mainly for games that that use the analog. But I've tried both 1st and 3rd party controllers and the d-pad just doesn't work right. It has got to the point that it has prevented me from buying xbox live arcade games. Games like Street Fighter 2, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, and Castlevania SOTN, just don't work well with it.

The Saturn pad is number 1 in my book.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by matt2k View Post
    I have to totally agree with Saturn pad. Back in the day when I had a Saturn all I had were imports. Fighters, shmups, you name it.
    Later on, I was having issues trying to find a good pad to use on the PC for emulated games. Sega annouced they were releasing an anniversary version of Puyo Puyo for the PC.....the big catch was that it was going to be bundled with a USB Saturn controller that could work on other games as well. I imported that bad boy, hooked it up with MAME among other emus, and it became the perfect controller. People reccomend the 360 pad for the PC. I think the D-pad on it is garbage. Don't get me wrong. I like the 360 controller for the 360, mainly for games that that use the analog. But I've tried both 1st and 3rd party controllers and the d-pad just doesn't work right. It has got to the point that it has prevented me from buying xbox live arcade games. Games like Street Fighter 2, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, and Castlevania SOTN, just don't work well with it.

The Saturn pad is number 1 in my book.
    I agree 100%!

The Saturn pad is perfect for fighting games and pretty much ideal for emulating any game that doesn't require analogue controls.

I'd say 2nd place is joint between PS2 and SNES.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information