Thread: Is the PlayStation 3 a Trojan horse to help sell Blu-ray films?

Blog Entries

ps3 Is the PlayStation 3 a Trojan horse to help sell Blu-ray films?

via guardian

It certainly looks that way to us - particularly after talking to Matt Brown, executive vice president of Sony Pictures Europe, whose job it is to persuade us all to buy Blu-ray media. Formerly with Dreamworks, and steeped in films, Brown declares that "the future is high-definition TV" and that the PS3 - which at £425 in the UK is steeply priced for a games console, but comparatively cheap for a high-definition player (Blu-ray players in the UK cost more than £500) - is "the ultimate home entertainment device". All of which you'd expect him to say. But talking to Brown, it's clear that Sony is happy to take its financial lumps in terms of losses in the games console market if it means guaranteeing a win in the high-definition video war. And the best way to do that? Lose money selling the players, and rake it back by selling the "software" - games and especially films. In the long term, Sony has far more to gain from winning the DVD format wars than it stands to lose in the gaming ones, since it could keep making the PS3 for the next decade.

While the PS3 has not given Sony any clear advantage in the games field, it certainly has in the high-definition DVD market. At the Consumer Electronics Show in January, the HD DVD camp could claim 175,000 players sold in the US, well ahead of Blu-ray. But Sony can now claim a total of 1.8m PS3s sold worldwide (says nexgenwars.com).
    Wood thus sounds confident when he claims: "Blu-ray discs are outselling HD DVD by three to one in the US." And, he adds, "if I do a good job then in six months we won't be having a conversation [about formats]. And the PS3 is going to help us do the job ... Potentially, we'll have 10 times more [Blu-ray] players [in the form of PS3s] out there by the end of the year." Projections for Sony by the research company Understanding & Solutions suggest there will be nearly 4m Blu-ray players (including PS3s) installed across Europe by the end of this year, compared to 55,000 HD DVD players; by the end of 2008, it forecasts 13.45m Blu-ray against 1.6m HD DVD drives (which will by then also include computers). For the US, it predicts a smaller gap - although still running 9 to 1 in favour of Blu-ray.

So is it game over for HD DVD? The HD DVD camp said at CES that owners of their players bought an average of 28 discs each, because they had chosen the format, rather than finding it bundled with their games console. Blu-ray owners hadn't bought many discs. But we remember a time when Netscape could claim to have many more people using its browser than Microsoft's Internet Explorer. Then Microsoft bundled the browser, and Netscape went pear-shaped. Someone at Sony has probably remembered their internet history, which says that victory goes to the most widely installed - not necessarily the most widely chosen.

PS3 User

Matt Brown better not let me down. You better sell those precious dvd's or you never know what might happen to your precious job. But you don't need to worry about that Matt do you? Of course not.

Is the PlayStation 3 a Trojan horse to help sell Blu-ray films?

What kind of question is that? Of course it is!

The real question is why does a format that's so obviously superior need a Trojan horse in the first place?

The PS3 is a cheap blue-ray player. Buy the system, buy the hdmi cables, and buy some blue-ray movies and you've got yourself a blue-ray movie player.

As far as a comparison to HD-DVD, blue-ray is exactly the same.

Now only if the system was cheaper and had some decent games that actually play in 1080p like the XBOX 360.

DCEmu Legend

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD do have their differences, and some say these differences stand Blu-Ray above the pack.

-Larger capacity
    -Better audio format

In my quick perusal online, I saw no real differences between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray in terms of audio. But in our ever growing space hungry society a larger capacity disc is essential.

When CDs came out for use on computers, they weren't truly necessary as floppies were sufficient. But had the road not been pioneered as early as it was, CDs may have suffered in the end and rather than being nearly 50 US cents per blank media, they could be more expensive.

To be honest, I am glad the PS3 has a Blu-Ray drive. When I finally do get the money for an HD tv, I may never watch standard definition tv or movies again. (since I heard they look ugly on HD tvs.)

hmm there is a good chance that the ps3 will boost blueray
    but this doesnt mean that hd-dvd also could raise their sells
    xbox360 has hd-dvd what does that mean its a trojan horse too
    microsoft is sales trojan horse

360 may have HD but it not ready installed and because blu-ray is already there PS3 fans think oh i might aswell just get a blu-ray film ... while 360 fans r like might aswell just stay to DVD

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by belialone View Post
    hmm there is a good chance that the ps3 will boost blueray
    but this doesnt mean that hd-dvd also could raise their sells
    xbox360 has hd-dvd what does that mean its a trojan horse too
    microsoft is sales trojan horse
    Plus Microsoft's HD-DVD drive sells for 200 USD, raising the cost of the X360 beyond that of the PS3... Not exactly a good investment either, since HD-DVD clearly isn't winning the format wars.

Thread Information