Thread: Tutorial for preparing Neo4allrc1 to play NeoGeo CD games on Dreamcast

DCEmu Newbie

Default Tutorial for preparing Neo4allrc1 to play NeoGeo CD games on Dreamcast

Note to moderators: if any part of this guide violates anything, please let me know and I will fix the problem.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Hello. There doesn't seem to be a guide out there to explain how to create a working neo4allrc1 and neo4allrc2 disc for the Dreamcast, and it can be confusing so I figure i might as well spend 15 minutes (Edit: one hour) or so to make a quick guide on it. REMEMBER, THIS IS FOR NEO GEO CD GAMES, NOT PLAIN OLE' NEO GEO!

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Creating a bootable CD-R of Neo4allrc3

1) Okay, to begin, first you need the neo4allrc1 file. Go here: http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/neo4all.html

You should also check the compatibility report on this page before you decide what games you plan on playing

2) Go down to "Binary downoads", then click on "RC-1 Binary" to download it.

3) Extract the files in the folder (using any archiver, such as 7-zip), and you should see something called "1st_read.bin" that's around roughly 2.7MB in size. This file is important.

5) Now, look for a program called Bootdreams. You can find it here: http://dchelp.dcemulation.com/?BootDreams

6) Install BootDreams. Preferably, install it at "C:\Bootdreams"

7) Okay, now, create a folder inside your "C:\Bootdreams" folder called Neo4All. So, the address should be "C:\Bootdreams\Neo4All"

8) Put the "1st_Read.bin" file and the NeoGeo CD Bios .bin file in this folder.

9) Now in "C:\Bootdreams", double click on Bootdreams, then at the Bootdreams menu, click on "Browse" and locate "C:\Bootdreams\Neo4All"

10) Your selfboot folder should read "C:\Bootdreams\Neo4All" and the CD label should be "Neo4All"

11) Click on "Process" to create an Image called "Neo4All". A message should pop up asking you if you want Bootdreams to create an IP.BIN for you. Choose "Yes".

12) Now, you have an image called "Neo4All". You can use whatever program that burns images onto cd-r's that you wish. There's Nero, but that is pretty expensive. I use a Demo version of Discjuggler that has limitations but it does everything needed in this situation.

13) So anyway, use the appropriate program to burn the "Neo4All" image onto a cd-r. CD-RW's WILL NOT WORK ON THE DREAMCAST!

14) After you create the Neo4all CD-R, you now have a boot disc that will load Neo4all on your Dreamcast!

------------------------------------------------------------------

First things first, you must first load the Neo4All cd-r on your Dreamcast. Then after that boots, you must then swap it with your game cd. Then, set your settings at what you want, then select "run" at the emu menu and the game will boot. So, the one cd-r boots Neo4All, and the other cd is for playing your game.

To return to the Neo4All menu, hold down the left shoulder button. Hold it down again from the emu menu if you wish to return to the game. As you can see, you only need to use the Neo4allrc3 cd-r to initially boot things up, and from there you no longer need it.

DCEmu Newbie

Use cdrecord. Burn your data tracks first.Then use the -audio tag on the sound tracks from the neo geo cd. The sound tracks should be converted to wavs before you burn.

Viola: Neo Geo CD's on your dreamcast, complete with music.

Dream Coder

It's never legal to download it, even if you own the original. If you own the original then you can do a straight copy(no need to convert to mp3s and such), so that part is unnecessary.

Otherwise, fine guide.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DCEmu Newbie

Quzar,

I concur. I didn't mean that to be an approval of piracy.

Buy the originals, folks!

Just to let the readers of this topic know, chui released neo4all rc3 yesterday.

DCEmu Newbie

Is it just with NeoGeo CD that downloading the roms are illegal, or is it with all systems? Because I'm pretty certain that for systems such as the NES and SNES, that if you own the original cartridge, you could legally download and have the rom of that cartridge as well?

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Sabres View Post
    Is it just with NeoGeo CD that downloading the roms are illegal, or is it with all systems? Because I'm pretty certain that for systems such as the NES and SNES, that if you own the original cartridge, you could legally download and have the rom of that cartridge as well?
    No, that's a misconception. If you own it you can have a backup of it, but it has to be made from your actual cart. to pass the legal mustard that is =P
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Sorry to bump an old thread guys but I can't find anything to help me...

I have an original neo geo cd(yay!!! loading...) which I want to dump my bios from.Does anybody know of any guides how to do this,I mean I want to use my own legal neogeocd bios in my emu,HOW?

Any help would be appreciated,I googled it and all I get are links to installing it in emu's or illegal downloads.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! !

I can't find ANYTHING on it,maybe my search parameters are wrong.
    Please somebody help me,I'm a serious game and console collector and I want all legal emu's.
    Last edited by NoQuarter; January 23rd, 2008 at 15:22.

Hm, have you tried to google for "neocd bios" or something like that ?

I justed wanted to know is there anybody still working on a NeoGeoCD Emulator? Because I really don't get why none of the Emus can play Orig. NGCD Games, is a release possible that can play Orig. Games and not just "Backups". Somebody here in the Forum said it is a Software problem and not a hardware one...

Cheers.

Thread Information