Thread: PSP BIOS update prevents hacks—already?

Blog Entries

Default PSP BIOS update prevents hacks—already?

Well, that was fast. We hadn’t even really started breaking into the blasted thing and already Sony’s all up in our grill firing off a new PSP firmware release to prevent “unauthorized” software (i.e. non Sony-cryptographically signed software) from being run on the system. For what it’s worth, the update is to make PSP 1.0 software-based units (thusfar only Japan has had 1.0 systems) run 1.5, like America’s units, or the later 1.51 in some cases.

Is there any chance that like the processor update thats built into GT4, that sony might try and sneek a firmware update onto version 1.0 machines via a game?

I was thinking they might somehow make people upgrade from 1.0.

You can almost count on it. The bios have to be updated to run the PSP cpu at faster speeds and you'll need that to run some of the later games. I'm sure they'll be bypasses for ripped versions of the games though. Like lower resolution textures to and a no checking for new clock speed. Still wont be the real thing though.

DCEmu Newbie

New PSP Games Force Firmware Update
    Unfortunately many new PSP titles will forcibly update your PSP’s firmware to the latest revision; preventing the homebrew community from running any unsigned code. A firmware updater tool will be included on new game UMD’s - updating the system software to either 1.50 or 1.51. Below is the exact article from IGN.
    http://psp-hacks.com/

DCEmu Newbie

just wondering what the odds are that an "action replay" type thing will be available for the psp, the one for ps2 lets you play sega games (i believe) so i mean, that might help a little :-/

also, why does sony care so much bout nintendo game lol, they shouldnt care so nintendo doesnt sell anymore and just say "oh well êothing we can do"

Thread Information