Thread: Price drop causes 300 percent sales increase?

psp Price drop causes 300 percent sales increase?

via PSP Fanboy

Sony recently dropped the price of PSP down to $170 in an effort to revitalize the ailing PSP market. Did it work? According to Kotaku, the plan has worked quite spectacularly: "In the the first two days following the PSP's price drop there was a 300 percent increase in the number of the portables sold."

Unfortunately, Kotaku hasn't provided a source for their information, and without specific numbers to work with, the authenticity of such a claim becomes a lot shakier. However, we'll play the optimist: with both system and games reaching mass market affordability, PSP is bound to bounce back in the handheld wars.

More surprisingly, it appears as though the UMD is not dead. Apparently, UMD movie sales were actually up 35 percent from 2005 to 2006. "That jump in sales enticed Target to bring the format back to their stores."

These are interesting developments for PSP, especially if true. The handheld wars are certainly getting far more interesting, now that Sony's recommitted to the fight.

mabey now more 3party games will come out!

Good for sony, maybe they will draw more attention to PSP games

Dream Coder

Um... it's easy to increase percentage by a huge amount when the amount being sold prior was very little.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by YKB View Post
    Sony's recommitted to the fight.

It's already been established that there is no competition going on between the PSP and the DS this so called "console war" is a myth from some PSP fanboy , in terms of Sales the Nintendo DS is simply superior to Sony ( despite the PSP unit actualy being more advance and capable to run custom software). Sony aren't targeting the same audience that the Nintendo are therefore they shoudln't be comapared it's like comparing Ford to Ferrari .

Although it's nice to see there's an improvment in the PSP's sales performance.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by quzar View Post
    Um... it's easy to increase percentage by a huge amount when the amount being sold prior was very little.
    Yup. If they were selling one a week before, they're now selling three a week. :rofl:

wow 300% increse for droping 30 bucks? man. that sure turned out well for sony

DCEmu Pro

Sony's actual gross revenue probably hasn't changed for the psp that noticibly considering the 30 dolars that sony don't get from each psp unit anymore, however the price drop is a very attractive gesture when you're looking for a nice little machine, so i suppose in this case, it would be considered a win/win situation.

DS User

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Sony's actual gross revenue probably hasn't changed for the psp that noticibly considering the 30 dolars that sony don't get from each psp unit anymore, however the price drop is a very attractive gesture when you're looking for a nice little machine, so i suppose in this case, it would be considered a win/win situation.
    But they can get more from software now so even more win for them I guess. Stupid to not do it before IMO.

I've seen at my workplace, PSP's are selling out quick, i'm surprised, maybe the attention will lift on to psp and not DS...(cause there is only 1 black ds which i want)

Thread Information