Thread: I sure like Monster Hunter.

Blog Entries

psp I sure like Monster Hunter.

article from 1up

I like Monster Hunter and am totally stoked for the upcoming Monster Hunter Freedom 2. While I'm not a huge fan of the right-analog stick being used to replicate the feeling of swinging a weapon (it doesn't really do that good a job of it), I love a game where you try and collect the coolest gear possible. It's why I loved Diablo II, and it's why I played the $#@! out of Phantasy Star Online and Final Fantasy XI.

I really love the crazy armor types in Monster Hunter, and the various strategy guides and armor books I've collected from my travels to Japan are often over 1,000 pages long. I have a memory card full of the uberest armor you can get in the first Monster Hunter for PS2, although I haven't gotten nearly as far in Monster Hunter Freedom for PSP, mostly because I don't know anyone else who plays, and it's hard to solo in that game.

Well, even though Monster Hunter Dos never came to the U.S. (I begged Capcom to), at least all of that game and a bag of chips is contained in Monster Hunter Freedom 2, which comes to the U.S. this September. For me, September can't come soon enough, because even though I set up an online account to play Monster Hunter Dos in Japan, the game is very text-heavy. With Freedom 2, I'll be able to enjoy that game, for the most part, although I'll have to recruit some friends to play with locally, since there's no online play, just wireless.

I like the controls a lot better on PSP too, since it dispenses with the analog nonsense and just puts the attacks on the buttons. I do wish the characters weren't as sluggish as they are. The game does a good job of making you feel super heavy, but heavy doesn't necessarily mean fun. Oh well, I'll still play the heck out of this game. Hell, I think I'll go fire up the first game now (on PSP).

yep me too. im def gonna get this game

Holy Smokes , i loved the first one, even though I only played it for a little bit.

Cant wait for the improvements of the second game.

Why don't people know about Kai?? You CAN play over the internet! You don't even need hacked PSP or anything. You just need the right computer software (all free) and the right wireless router (expensive, only go that route if you happen to already have it) or the right wireless dongle (cheap, but get a good one... check the compat lists) which you might also already have.

Another great aspect of the new game is that it deals with high pings better than the first. I think they did at least consider Kai while making the game. In the first game anything above 100 would lag the game horribly (in my experience) Now, you can press 350 and still be playable. But I still suggest playing with people who are in your own general geographic area. Just to avoid any possible problems.

yeah i love monster hunter too but freedom is way better than the ps2 version. cant wait for mhf2 woo

Thread Information