Thread: Dreamcast Development Environment - DDEr3 Installation Walkthrough

ok, for this tutorial i want you to ignore everything that the install disc says and just listen to me...

first, download this disc juggler image

http://www.consolevision.com/downloa...ment/DDEr3.rar

from here: http://www.consolevision.com/?Dreamc...:Under_Windows

then i want you to download and install this

http://dchelp.dcemulation.com/?downl...reams_102a.exe

from here: http://dchelp.dcemulation.com/

now, open the program you just installed (boot dreams) and click on the icon of the snake that says burn, browse for your discjuggler image and click process, then select a drive that you have a blank cd in. now just wait for it to burn.

now eject the disc and put it back in, a program should pop up introducing you to the dev environment, click next. then click install cygwin

when the installer opens click next, you will have 3 options, make sure install from local directory is selected then press next. keep everything as it is on this page then press next. on this page put in x:\Cygwin\release (where x is put the drive you have the cd in) and press next. now you should be on a select packages window click on the package that says all default so it says all install and click next. let it install then create a desktop shortcut.

you will now be back at the main installer window, go to step 2, click extract and select C:\\cygwin, then press ok

go to step 3 and press configure, it automatically does it for you.

you have just setup the tool-chain, go to your desktop and open cygwin through the shortcut the installer created. when the window opens you can navigate to folders and compile things

for example, type cd examples, then cd dreamcast, cd tsunami, cd banner, and finally make and it will compile into and elf file, you can do all sorts of things with this file such as turn it into a bin using checker so you can run it in chankast using binloader. you can also turn it into a burnable file but i dont know how (i have only run things using emulators so far)

thanks to bb hood and christuserloser

DCEmu Newbie

Not to be rude but the tutorial you gave is almost exactly like the install disc instructions. What is the difference between the instructions you gave and the instructions the disc gives?

the tutorial in the install disc asumes to much, and their is a few errors, most of them are in the part relating to cygwin, first of all, it says to set the path where the cygwin install files are stored to d:\\cygwin this is a huge problem because in this day and age alot of people have 2 hard drives, so most of the time the cd wont be in drive d, also it says to just set it to drive:\Cygwin, this did not work for me, it only worked when i set it to drive:\Cygwin\release.

this also has a link to bootdreams which people with out a cdi program need, and it also has a walkthrough for compiling something.

also i searched for an hour on google to find something like r3 but i didnt untill you showed me it.
    but i did run across this site alot, having a tut with a link to it on the site will make it easier for people wanting to get started to find :thumbup:

DCEmu Newbie

Yea, I noticed about the drive thing too but that drive:\Cygwin\release fix is weird. Anyways thanks for the tutorial.

i figured out how to make it into a cdi yesterday, i migth revise the tut when i get home from school.

edit: actually i migth just make a different tut for that as this one is just to get started

DCEmu Newbie

The download link is down.

Is there anyone that has it or just simply a link for the SDK I have been looking everywhere for days now that I cant continue programming for the PSP I figured id start programming for the Dreamcast, but I havnt been able to find the SDK anywhere...

Thanks for any help.

it says to set the path where the cygwin install files are stored to d:\\cygwin this is a huge problem because in this day and age alot of people have 2 hard drives, so most of the time the cd wont be in drive d
    This is already fix and will be in R4.

this also has a link to bootdreams which people with out a cdi program need, and it also has a walkthrough for compiling something.
    BootDreams is already included on the disc, in the \Extras folder.

also i searched for an hour on google to find something like r3 but i didnt untill you showed me it.
    but i did run across this site alot, having a tut with a link to it on the site will make it easier for people wanting to get started to find
    The next release I'll make sure to post it here and sticky it.

The download link is down.
    http://ftp.dc-france.com/Windows/Pro...hain/DDEr3.rar

DCEmu Newbie

ah koo dude thanks a lot man

Thread Information