Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS3 firmware upped to 1.7, issues with playing PS classics on PS3

Blog Entries

ps3 PS3 firmware upped to 1.7, issues with playing PS classics on PS3

The PlayStation 3 firmware has updated to 1.7, which purportedly allows you to play your downloaded PS One titles on the console itself. Here's what else got updated:

Your PSOne and PS2 controllers and accessories will now rumble.
    You can now use PSOne save files from your PSP on the PS3.
    The PSP firmware also received an upgrade to 3.4. Unfortunately, we are having serious issues with playing PS One games that are already saved on our PSP -- namely, it's not working at all-- but the console is properly detecting our PSP save files. Our fanboy brethren are also experiencing similar issues. Will the PS Store update and offer users compatible files?

via joystiq

DCEmu Legend

Its not working because Sony is preventing us (namely Custom Firmware and POPStation users) from putting our ripped games onto our PS3 and playing them.

More than likely, everyone will have to redownload the PSOne games, this time, given the option to save them directly to the HDD.

the most reasonable explanation:

with 1.70[ps3] and 3.40[psp] sony has changed the format for running psone games on both systems so that they are the same. they have avoided using the old method due to the chance of uploading custom pops games onto the HD, and so from now on all psone games will be released in a new format which is compatible with both 3.40 and 1.70.

cant blame them really, but if 3.40 is decrypted and we get anothe OE then sony are in exactly the same position as before...

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Accordion View Post
    the most reasonable explanation:

with 1.70[ps3] and 3.40[psp] sony has changed the format for running psone games on both systems so that they are the same. they have avoided using the old method due to the chance of uploading custom pops games onto the HD, and so from now on all psone games will be released in a new format which is compatible with both 3.40 and 1.70.

cant blame them really, but if 3.40 is decrypted and we get anothe OE then sony are in exactly the same position as before...
    I don't think its that advanced man. Then PS1 games wouldn't work on 3.40 without redownloading/reconversion from Sony. That involves way too much work on both Sony's part and the end user.

We cannot copy the games to the PS3's HDD yet and may never will. This is the only stumbling block we have thus far and by making people redownload the titles for PS3 use, they thwart those who rip their own PS1 games.

Waits for 3.40OE-A

DCEmu Newbie

sorry if i'm breaking any rules here have registered simply to say that the new 1.7 update for ps3 seems to have left suikoden V (ps2) unplayable despite it working great on 1.6 has this happened with any other titles as i have not many to test. However this has fixed devil may cry 3 special edition.

p.s despite never registering before now i'm a regular to this site for info and i think what you guys do here is great

DCEmu Newbie

Hi all, I have tested the 10 PS2 games I own that didn't work with 1.6. The results are as follows...

Now working...

GT4 (SCES 51719)
    Tourist Trophy (SCES 53372)
    SSX (SLES 50030)
    Tomb Raider - AOD (SLES 51227)
    Baulders Gate - Dark Alliance (SLES 50672)
    Baulders Gate - Dark Alliance II (SLES 52187)

Ones still not working....

World Rally Championship (SCES 50139)
    Driv3r (SLES 50876)
    Moto GP (SCES 50034)
    Tony Hawk's Project 8 (SLES 54389)

So as I own 40 PS2 titles a 10% failure rate isn't too bad, but THP8?!? I guess they want me to buy the PS3 version.

DCEmu Newbie

and i was so enjoying suikoden v

DCEmu Newbie

Default remote play

Well, IŽd better stick to 1.60 and 3.30 OE-A. I guess when I upgrade, the remote play function on PSP wonŽt work anymore. Or am I wrong here?

DCEmu Legend

Probably, since 1.70 may require 3.40 on the PSP. Then again, if you registered your PSP with the PS3, it may not need to do so again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information