Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gran Turismo 5 confirmed to have no damage to vehicles?

Blog Entries

ps3 Gran Turismo 5 confirmed to have no damage to vehicles?

via ps3fanboy

We say confirmed with a question mark because the debate is still up in the air, but apparently there was a little scuffle between a group of message board visitors and a Gran Turismo development staff member regaring the issue of damage to the licensed cars. The staff member worked on Gran Turismo HD and is hard at work on Gran Turismo 5, which is awesome. But here are a few quotes from the guy worth scratching our chins over:

"...We're not ready to implement damage until they can be shown in a truly authentic way (which is extremely hard work if you think about it)."
    Damage in Gran Turismo would make the franchise unstoppable, don't you think? He responds: "No I mean, really, really, really hard work... to the extent of creating another game, almost. From our standards, what other games are doing is "simplified damage". You know how [anal] we are when making our games... we would want to simulate every single dent differently."

Not sure why they bleeped out anal -- it's a perfectly appropriate word, because Polyphony Digital really does get down to the most painstaking detail when crafting these games. So what's this sound like to you? The staff member who said this checks out. He's completely legit (but we can't reveal the obvious). We're saying there won't be damage this time. Maybe for GT5 A-Spec or something. I dunno. I won't mind. Besides, you're not supposed to crash in the driving sim games.

Damage would be an excellent addition to this series especially since it would encourage drivers, like myself, to never hit a wall even if it seems beneficial.

DCEmu Newbie

I truly admire Polyphony. They are focused and it shows in each and every one of their releases. Fancy collisions are neat but at the expense of well established simulation style game play or worse yet, AI capability, I would have to say a hearty no thank you.

I fail to see why this is news. None of the GT games have had damage in them, apart from tyre wear.

I thought there would be some problem with the licenced cars if some were shown to be weaker than others etc. Car companies might not lend their licence to a game that makes their cars look like the crumble easily.

Well its a simulation, its meant to be like driving a car in real life.

Damage would make this game spectacular, but indeed none of the others have, and the makers know how successful all the others were. So i think there just looking at it thinking they cant be arsed.
    PSN (PS3/PS4/Vita)/NintendoID - Triv1umx
    Steam - Rjinswand
    Runescape - Rjinswand

if that's true, then I will not touch this game

anal ! haha .

if GT did do damage i get the feeling it would be the best damage around , that they'd do it properly. Its trying to be the most realistic driving experience - surely damage is a big part of that (plowing into walls at 120 mph and bouncing off only to find you have dropped several positions isn't exactly what i call realistic ). Some car companys may not like it and pull the license.....so ? aslong as too many do not pull out there will still be a good 300+ cars left. GT needs damage !

the game needs damage otherwise its not realistic

Quote Originally Posted by jonezybaby View Post
    the game needs damage otherwise its not realistic
    Exactly ! :thumbup:

gran turismo is like the most realistic car game ever, how can u make it realistic by not havin damage????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information