Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC game domination imminent?

Blog Entries

IRC Chat PC game domination imminent?

via cvg

PC gaming could be making a epic comeback as analysts observe a huge rise in software sale in US this year.

According to NPD Group analyst, Anita Frazier, PC software sales in the States reached $203 million in the first two months of this year, compared to $136.8 million last year - a rise of 48 percent.
    "The robust performance we're seeing in PC game sales can be tied to several key titles across several genres," Frazier told New York Times.

The recent release of the World of Warcraft expansion, Burning Crusade, Command & Conquer 3 and other huge titles this year have helped boost these figures.

This follows statements made by PC bosses, among other industry figures, that the days of consoles are numbered.

Could PC gaming be taking over? Id Software's chief exec, Todd Hollenshead said: "I think with three consoles out in the last couple of years, it's natural to focus on consoles.

PC software retail sales hit $953 million last year, while console software sold through $4.8 billion - A huge difference.

"There's a lot of excitement, a lot of marketing dollars and a lot of hype for consoles," Hollenshead added. He points out the superior marketing of console games, saying: "we don't have any champion of the PC game business to step in and leverage those sorts of marketing dollars."

Could Microsoft's Games for Windows change that? Time will tell.

DCEmu Old Pro The_Ultimate_Eggman's Avatar

Providing you can keep up with hardware prices its definatley they way to go.

DCEmu Art Pro

PC games, always will be on top

I never really was to fond of PC games. They never had any of the games I really want to play. The specs are top notch if you can keep up though.

DCEmu Newbie

i love pc gaming =p, everyone whines about they are expensive, but console gaming its already expensive in this generation -_-, so i dont see the big deal

PC FTW :thumbup:

SPECS :

Apevia X-DISCOVERY
    ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 - OCd' to 3.4ghz
    ASUS Silent Square CPU cooler
    OCZ 2GB ATI certified DDR2-800
    ATI Readon x1950xtx 512MB GDDR4
    ATI Radeon x1950 crossfire edition 512MB GDDR4
    (ATI R600 upgrade soon, x2900xtx FTW)

I'm guessing DS is second lol

The PC and consoles don't need to be in competition.
    Remember back when the Sega Saturn/PS1/N64 could easily achieve better graphics than the common PC? But the PC games always managed better quality, especially the Blizzard games like Starcraft and Diablo, both of which were ported to the N64 and PS1 respectively but had to be crapped down dramatically. Though that was back in the day.
    Nowadays, the PC and consoles can all handle the same games, though PCs have to be upgraded and aren't very good for in-home multiplayer.
    I'll always like my PC more than my other systems, but I never say that the PC or any specific console is better than another.
    Though when it comes to playing with friends, console games are way easier because you can use one TV (with any well-made game), one console and one disc/cartridge, though PCs require one of each (in most cases) and every computer would have to meet the game's system requirements.
    So, like... In-home multiplayer is more expensive on PCs. Assuming you're trying to play a modern game. I have several computers that can all handle Half-Life and various other games of low quality by today's standards, but I can't play much of anything better.

With out a pc you can't homebrew... a mac is still a pc, they are just a computer that calls them self gangster yet they live in Ohio... on a farm. Anyways the PC is the most flexible system out there, it can carry more than one platform, and take more than one size, like portable, such as a laptop. In other terms a PC is the ultimate, but I still love my DS, for its awesome way it can do stuff. The PC market will never die, well at least it won't be gone until people refuse to make there own.

Now keeping up with the price isn't always true... It actually about planning for the future. I can play 95% of the games on the market, and I only spend about 100$ on my computer a year. The trick is to make your computer ready for the future review and buy, I saved a lot buying a combo board from 754 to 939 since the only difference is the pin / fsb. That in time paid for its self since I didn't have to buy a 754 or a 939 board... Than I also waited for a sale on processors and I bought the AMD 64 3800+ when it was on sale... This was about 4 years ago so I pretty sure I forgot numerous steps but I saved a lot. I also have a x1600pro video card so I'm not behind as much as I'm getting closer every year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information