Thread: Wii name celebrates first anniversary

Blog Entries

Rev Wii name celebrates first anniversary

via joystiq

It may seem like we've been talking about it forever, but it was just a year ago today that Nintendo revealed the console formerly known as the Revolution would henceforth be called the Wii. Immediate reactions ranged from derisive and disbelieving to defensive on the part of Nintendo itself, but by the time Nintendo's E3 press conference rolled around the initial furor had already subsided into a gentle buzz of Internet jokes.

At the time, we confidently predicted that, eventually, "this new name will seem as nifty, familiar and as comfortable as that silly controller once it's all said and done." Well, were we right? Are you able to mention the Wii without snickering like a schoolgirl, or do you still feel vaguely uncomfortable talking about Nintendo's latest console. Lend us your opinion in the comments.

Wii sounds fine. It's much better than the repetetive(i know, its not spelled right) playstations.... playstation, psone(the smaller one), ps2, ps2 slim, psp, ps3...... lol
    nintendo always changes the name of their consoles to something more interesting. gb, gbc, gba, gbasp(gameboys are slightly repetetive), ds, dslite, nintendo, famicom, super nintendo, super famicom, nintendo 64, GC, Wii

DCEmu Newbie

I like the name very much now, despite being as horrified as most when it was first revealed. I have noticed, however, that although i have a fairly large selection of consoles which i play on, there is a definite distinction in conversation between "playing Wii" and "playing video games". Only reading this post and considering my reply have i begun to realise how much the Wii is defining its own role in pop culture - it has a different feel, a different fanbase, a different look... and, of course, a different name. Nintendo aren't daft - they wanted to make the Wii different and i imagine things are playing out exactly as they'd hoped. Their choice of the name "Wii" no doubt played its part (and will continue to do so) in the console success.

I could care less about the name of a console, as long as it has fun games it fine. But the I like the name "Wii" for the main fact that I can make dirty jokes using my Wii.
    (is it wrong if it feels so right!?)

Thread Information