US talk radio conservative Rush Limbaugh has taken a break from laying into anyone leaning to the left of the American political spectrum, to level his polemic canons on the tech blogger community – claiming as a rule it ‘hates’Apple.
Furthermore, he asserts that Apple is in fact the Republican party of tech journalism. In that it’s the victim of constant biased media attack.
He says:
“I would venture to say that nine out of 10 bloggers writing high-tech hate Apple. Apple is the equivalent of the Republicans on these blogs, and Google, Android, and Samsung are the equivalent of the Democrats.”
It’s the sort of rhetoric that doesn’t get levelled too much at the international tech sector, usually contained to the world of divisive US politics. And it’s quite easy to pick apart these diatribes. So let’s do that.
There probably are blogs that favour Apple or Google/Samsung to some extent, because that’s sort of the point of a blog.
To make a general point, I’d argue Apple just get written/read about more than any other tech firm. Going by clicks per story, you can say with a good degree of confidence people are usually more interested in Apple than any other tech firm.
And of course there is a predilection across media as a whole, from the Daily Mail to the Guardian – in which ‘negative’ stories tend to be more interesting too. It would certainly be strange if there wasn’t a fair few stories of this type on Apple floating around the web.
Besides which the way tech media ‘blogs’ and ‘websites’ share stories and sources, it doesn’t seem to be overly useful to separate out one element anyway. Websites concerned with writing tech news are something of an intertwined beast at this stage.
But regardless of this, if any such coverage has been a thorn in the side for Apple, it’s been doing a good job of hiding the pain. You won’t know this, not being plugged into the pulsating veins tech trade like us, but I can tell you the iPhone is selling quite well.
Indeed, Apple is so colossally successful that the idea of casting it as some sort of downtrodden victim of a cabal of vicious bedroom bloggers seems a bit hysterical to say the least.
But it’s difficult to talk on any meaningful level about this without drawing out a specific example of supposed bias. To this point, one listener to Limbaugh’s show emailed in and asked for some names of the offending sites.
He responded with:
“Folks, I've thought about it, and there's nothing to be gained by it. If I call 'em out, all they're gonna do is get happy that I'm giving them attention and elevating attention. It's not gonna change them. If I start naming people, the same thing. It's one of these unfortunate things.”
I suppose that’s not a terrible point, but making it does reduce the conversation to:
“Someone’s doing something bad.’
“Who?”
“I’m not telling.”
"Ok."

But we do want to know what you think – is there bias in the blogging community or the wider tech media against Apple?

http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read/...here-is/031550