Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you make a new LCD/Plasma Gun Controller Dreamcast friendly?

Default Dreamcast gun and hd lcd tv dont mix :(

After having most of my gaming gear in storage, i finally got arround to rigging it all up to my new shiny Hd tv.

After about 3 hours of working my way though about 5 games i thought id have a go at some shooters and with no ammount of fiddling with settings i cant get the lightgun to work.

Im assuming it has somthing to do with the refesh rate etc.

Is there anyway of making it work?

Thanks
    Gary

Unfortunately not, as far as I know. Lightguns made for CRT screens are not compatible with LCD or Plasma screens.

There are now some emerging lightguns (world firsts, apparently) that are universally compatible with any screen, using sensor 'rails' fitted either side of the screen or a sensor 'camera' that sits on top of it.

While these are an exciting development for fans of lightgun games, I don't know how much luck you'll have finding one that is Dreamcast-ready. The only ones I could find mentioned XBox and Playstation.

It is probably of little consolation that you are not alone; there are in fact many forum-goers out there bemoaning the lack of a flat-screen capable lightgun for the Dreamcast. Perhaps some enterprising chap (or chappette) will get around to adapting a solution for you all. Time will tell.

As it happens, you'll find there are also problems with lightguns on CRTs at high refresh rates - PC monitors or TVs running at 100MHz(+) for instance, are no better than flat screens when it comes to lightguns.

Sorry about that.

Thanks for the info i had a google and couldnt find anything really conclusive, my own faut for upgrading my tv i supose why didnt i keep the 28" crt lol

Now ive gotta get myself back upto speed on the dreamcast scene, thats gonna take some time

Thanks all.

I have found a PS2-to-Dreamcast controller adapter (no information specifically regarding lightguns), and PS2-compatible 'universal' lightgun (DLP, LCD, Plasma, CRT, etc). Possibilities only, but there may be hope - I'm awaiting a couple of responses to queries.

Unfortunately, there may be some confusion over compatibility of products; for instance, that a lightgun compatible with HDTVs and 100MHz screens will be suitable for LCDs. This is most likely not the case unless stated specifically in the product specifications, as the LCD-incompatibility is nothing to do with scan/refresh rates or resolutions.

Two lightguns which are definitely suited to LCD use, and are compatible with PS2 (for those who feel like testing a controller adapter) are:

RGT LCD Lightgun - uses 'RGT Cam' sensor.
    TopGun - uses sensor 'rails' fitted either side of the screen/projection-area.

The Long Claw of the Law BlueCrab's Avatar

I somewhat doubt that most of the PS->DC converter boxes are going to work, if any of them do, for light guns.

If I recall correctly, Light guns on the DC used a different way of handling the maple bus, so the box would have to not only know that it has a light gun attached to it; it would have to know how to use that special maple bus mode.
    Sylverant PSO Server
    http://crabemu.sourceforge.net/
    irc.freenode.net #dreamcastdev #dcemuuk #yabause #ljsdcdev

Are all CRT TVs compatible? I don't know if it's the gun or my TV, but the aim is very off. Even after I calibrate it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information